PSU consensus

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

MikeK
Patron of SPCR

PSU consensus

Post by MikeK » Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:29 pm

all right, I've read the threads about the seasonics and various other PSUs. I'm in the market for one now and I need to know what to get. Here are some noise related stats of my system.

Antec 3700AMB
fanmated Zalman 7000alcu
ATI Radeon 9800 w/ zalman 80c-hp, no fan but will put something on it soon
Seagate 7200.7 HD - only seek noise, fine with me :)
Antec 350w PSU - way too loud
Tyan mobo w/ no NB fan
fanmated Panaflo FBK 120mm on back

the PSU is the noisemaker from the constant badly toned sound. I'd like a 350 or 400w+ PSU. Now what is the consensus on the Seasonics? I really like the looks of the Super Tornado, kind of like the back grate and the 120mm fan but I'm hearing some people say the Super Silencer is quieter. Also, I saw that they fixed the out of spec fan problem but they increased the fan voltage to do it so it's louder know? Is there any new info on the new Zalman? From that one review it seems to cost a lot. The Nexus 350 is high on the recommended list and the Seasonic SS-400 APFC is high in the 400w+ category. I take it those would be safe bets. Now, will the PSU still be the loudest component after I upgrade it?

thanks for your help

chylld

Post by chylld » Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:54 pm

you could always just mod your current psu. (that's what i did, i'm glad i saved the $$$)

cmcquistion

Post by cmcquistion » Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:55 am

That Antec 350, with the bottom fan removed (if it has one) and the rear exhaust fan replaced with a Panaflo L1A, would probably be very quiet. I've done this with a couple Enermax and Antec PSU's. (plug the L1A into the PSU fan header)

If you really want to get rid of that PSU, may I suggest the Fortron FSP-300, modded for low noise (less then $35, shipped). You can find information and instructions on the mod, with the link in my sig.

*EDIT* After you remove the bottom fan, tape over the hole. Make the PSU draw in air from the vents opposite the exhaust fan.
Last edited by cmcquistion on Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chylld

Post by chylld » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:41 pm

i would actually recommend you replace the bottom fan with an l1a as well. don't just take the fan away, it serves the very important purpose of delivering air to the components at the front of the psu. if you only have the rear fan, then the airflow will bypass these components and they'll heat up and greatly increase the risk of psu failure.

the 1-fan models get away with this by having the intake vents on the opposite (front) side of the psu so that the single fan serves to pull air across all the components.

cmcquistion

Post by cmcquistion » Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:08 pm

I've never seen a dual-fan power supply that does not have vents on the opposite side of the PSU, from the exhaust fan. If you cover up the bottom fan hole, then airflow WILL be drawn across all the components, coming in from the side opposite the exhaust fan.

The only thing the bottom fan really does is add a failsafe if the exhaust fan fails, and it adds noise.

MikeK
Patron of SPCR

Post by MikeK » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:03 pm

Replacing the fan(s) sounds good to me, costs $80 or so less. I replaced the single 92mm bottom fan in the Living Room computer's 200w Astec PSU with a panaflo L1A and it is really quiet now. I have some concern with PSU heat though, is that an issue or would there not be any trouble pushing my system with a single L1A in there (in the humid STL summer)? I'll try doing both and see how that goes. I have a few more fans to buy then.