Quiet EPS psu? Or share how theirs sound?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

NullObject

Quiet EPS psu? Or share how theirs sound?

Post by NullObject » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:46 pm

I'm about to build a dual processor comp and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a quiet EPS psu? Also, if you have an EPS psu, please post how it sounds and what, if any, modifications you made to it.

Sam Williams

Post by Sam Williams » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:57 pm

An EPS PSU? Surely if you ducted it, you'd have an "EPS conduit"... :P

...I'll get my coat. :oops:

NullObject

Post by NullObject » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:21 pm

With that kind of humor you should be folding for SPCR :D

hyperslug
Patron of SPCR

Post by hyperslug » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:22 pm

I tried the Antec TP 550. It was a little too loud and I left it stock.
I now have an Ahanix Silenx 550W and it's much quieter ( for same price, too ). All I've done is remove the fan grill. The fan makes a low quiet purring noise. Bearings I suppose. I may open it up, swap the fan, and mount it on rubber fan mounts, but I'm not sure what I'd swap it with. I compared the noise w/ an L1A undervolted but there wasn't a big difference. Also, I'm not even sure a 12V L1A would move enough air. It's hard to tell w/ a PSU and I'd rather not play around w/ $100.

I'm happy enough with this PSU. Although it's the loudest component in my system, at 5 feet away, I can barely barely hear my computer, assuming nothing else is on ( ie AC, laptop, somebody showering in an adjacent apartment etc. )

herosformula

Post by herosformula » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:07 pm

I have an Enermax EG651 that I am using in a dual Intel 2.8, as soon as I got it, I yanked out the 92 mm fan and taped over the hole. The 80 mm fan on the outside moves very slowly and produces little noise.

NullObject

Post by NullObject » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:10 pm

hyperslug & herosformula, thanks for the info. I will take a look into them.

hyperslug
Patron of SPCR

Post by hyperslug » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:05 am

herosformula wrote:I have an Enermax EG651 that I am using in a dual Intel 2.8, as soon as I got it, I yanked out the 92 mm fan and taped over the hole. The 80 mm fan on the outside moves very slowly and produces little noise.
I've seen that PSU go for up to $200. You are either brave or rich.

herosformula

Post by herosformula » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:05 am

oops, my PSU is actually a EG465P-VE-FM

I probably would have paid that much since it was a replacement for a previous 'gift' power supply that blew up. I have had solid experience with Enermax PSU's. I know that they are happy running hot, since I melted one for 8 hours with no fan and it is still is working with a low speed fan almost a year later. I know that they can be quiet if you take out one of the fans (my case prevented me from taking the outside one out, otherwise I would have left the inner and removed the outer) and I have had whine problems with other power supplies. So it seemed like a good bet (besides, after a power supply blows up on you, your wallet has a tendency of opening up a bit further than normal)