Modding nervousness: What happens if it overheats?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Uberapan

Modding nervousness: What happens if it overheats?

Post by Uberapan » Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:44 am

I just modded my SeaSonic Super Tornado 400W PSU so that I can manually adjust the fan's rotation speed with a Zalman Fan-Mate. As always when I have modded something to quiet it down, I'm nervous what would happen if it overheated.

So, what would happen if a PSU overheated? I don't really care if the PSU breaks down, but is there a risk that it takes something else with it? Can it catch on fire? Any insight and calming words would be appreciated. I run my computer with both side panels off, so I don't think there is a great risk of catastrophic overheating.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:07 am

It depends on the nature of failure and the protections built into the thing. Overheating usually first melts the copper windings on the transformers inside the PSU. The thin strands of lots of windings become thick strands of small number of windings. This reduces the effectiveness of the psu and in unstable voltage lines. At one point the voltage is not reduced enough and a very high current passes through the transformers burning everything in its path, the mobo, CPU, hdd, you-name-it. Of course this is a catastrophe that takes a long time in the making so you could *probably* check your voltages for stability. The electrician I talked to said there would be no way for me to identify the problem until it's too late but some thinking says clues can be had from voltage lines.

Uberapan

Post by Uberapan » Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:16 am

But if this happened, it's not like the voltage would go from 12V to 220V in half a second, right? The voltage would go up gradually. Surely the motherboard has some kind of alarm/shutdown mechanism for this situation?

Tigr
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tigr » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:44 am

It would go very gradually all right. In small steps, within a space of a few microseconds :twisted:

kid6o6

Post by kid6o6 » Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:45 pm

Sounds fun, i'd be very worried if my panaflo modded zalman didn't shut down at 50'c...mine can get quite hot to touch