how can i remove the 20 pin atx connector?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

calam63

how can i remove the 20 pin atx connector?

Post by calam63 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:24 pm

I am trying to sleeve my cables and i thought my molex remover would be able to do it - but it can't - i found an atx 20 pin remover from svc - but i don't want to shell out another 25 dollars? is there another alternative or maybe a site for something that is 10 dollars? thanks all

Bri

Re: how can i remove the 20 pin atx connector?

Post by Bri » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:57 pm

calam63 wrote:...i don't want to shell out another 25 dollars is there another alternative...?
How about just using some "e-tape" on the wires?

-Bri

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: how can i remove the 20 pin atx connector?

Post by nutball » Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:47 am

calam63 wrote:I am trying to sleeve my cables and i thought my molex remover would be able to do it - but it can't - i found an atx 20 pin remover from svc - but i don't want to shell out another 25 dollars? is there another alternative or maybe a site for something that is 10 dollars? thanks all
I picked up an ATX remover effort from e-Bay for a few quid. It's pretty crap though I mist say, the pins bent quite easily. I ended up using a combination of that and a heavy-duty staple. A right PITA it was.

inertia8

Post by inertia8 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:22 am

calam63

Post by calam63 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:31 pm

there is one at jab-tech for 12.95

NeilBlanchard

alternatives

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:57 pm

Hello:

Have you considered alternatives like a spiral wrap:

http://www.youdoitelectronics.com/id23_ ... search.htm

or Velcro straps:

http://cableorganizer.com/wire-wrap/

calam63

Post by calam63 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:25 pm

yup - i think the best way is sleeves - but thx for the other suggestions - might as well go all the way - purchased a remover today :)

anyone know if i should cut the leads that i am not using?

inertia8

Post by inertia8 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:20 pm

I'd suggest you don't incase you change configuration later. Simply find a space to tuck them away out of sight and airflow.

There is that SEXY new Antec PSU, the Phantom I think. Where you simply use the leads you want 8)

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:47 pm

calam63 wrote:yup - i think the best way is sleeves - but thx for the other suggestions - might as well go all the way - purchased a remover today :)

anyone know if i should cut the leads that i am not using?
I've cut my unused leads and terminated them with Mini-Fit connectors (the same style of connector as the ATX/12v-aux/etc. cables use). Whilst I can recommend this from the case tidying point-of-view, those connectors are suprisingly expensive, so if I were doing it again I'd in all likelihood choose a different connector style.

As for flexibility of case reconfiguration, well you pays your money and makes your choice as they say. Speaking personally my config changes sufficiently infrequently that I don't think making up extra custom cables will be a problem. In fact if anything I'm more likely to remove stuff from my case (eg. swap my CD/RW and DVD drives for a combo DVDRW/CDRW).