Farewell from an Old Timer (RIP Antec PSU)

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Farewell from an Old Timer (RIP Antec PSU)

Post by powergyoza » Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:52 pm

Hey all, I disappeared without really saying goodbye but I didn't really know life would take me so far away from something so dear to me. Now that some computer trauma has momentarily brought me back, I thought I'd take the chance to say farewell. It was really fun discussing, testing and writing about silencing ideas with all you. Mike, thanks for taking such an interest in my silencing pursuits! Holy smokes has Folding ever taken off!

For me, everything has been very uneventful on the silencing front in the past year. My duallie has been quiet and mostly trouble-free (uptime measured in months). I think that's a good thing cuz the practice of PC silencing has matured so well that there's less need to tinker (for me at least). Kudos to all those in the industry and the users who keep pushing bleeding edge!

So I make my 1st post in a long time to tell you about my dead 3-year old modded Antec 400W PSU. Some of you might have seen my postings about it. Well, it's served me well for nearly 3 years, about half of those 3 with all the fan, grill and duct mods. I was kinda expecting it to happen sooner or later. Mike you warned me about this 1-1/2 years ago!

I actually wasn't sure it was dead. I had fears it was the mobo, but that'd be near-impossible to replace these days. Dual-MP mobos are extinct aren't they? So I took a chance and got a new Seasonic Super Silencer 300. Tested and it worked fine. My only mods were to open the front grill by twisting the metal bits and to place it back in the duct.

Everything is back to normal again. Unless something else explodes, it's time for me to disappear again. Wishing you all well!

daba
Friend of SPCR

Post by daba » Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:09 pm

Good job power dumpling :)

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:15 pm

Wow, I heard there was someone out there who had reached the end. LOL

larrymoencurly

Post by larrymoencurly » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:55 pm

Is it something that can be fixed with new capacitors?

My 300W SmartPower, about the same age, has recently developed capacitor rot. At first I thought it was limited to just one cap (all measured for ESR), but a few weeks later another cap swelled up and showed much higher ESR than it did a week earlier. OTOH my Powmax, made around 1999 (looks like a more expensive Raidmax), has no bad caps.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:02 pm

Goodbye to the king of dumplings!

I modelled a bunch of my mods after yours. Thanks for the ideas and godspeed.