Help me pick a "silent" PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

snoxu

Help me pick a "silent" PSU

Post by snoxu » Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:14 am

Help me pick a PSU from this shop's list:

http://www.aquapc.com/aquapc_psu.html

I want the “best” PSU I can get for my money and the most silent and most efficient. :P

I’m not gonna overclock my setup. I don't need a lot of wattage and I have a very basic setup to power:

AMD XP 1,53 GHz, Asus K7S8X, Zalman 7000 cooler AlCu, Papst fan, 256 RAM DDR, SoundBlaster Live, Riva TNT2, Seagate 120g HD, dvd drive, cd-rw

People have recommended me to get these from the list:

Ocz Powerstream 420w - 99,90 €
Enermax Eg 375ax-Ve(G) Sfm - 75,00 €
be quiet! 350W Active PFC S1.3 - 66,90 €
Yesico 350w Fanless 0db - 135,00 € (one person mentioned this one, it’s fanless and more expensive)

Are some of these overkill for me?

Anyhow there are more on the list. Check it out and help me pick one. Recommend me 2 or 3 from the list… in order of what I should get 1st and/or really need.

Thanks in advance

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:01 am

With those system specs you'll probably be able to use a "brick" PSU (external, passively cooled). I can't help you with choosing from the list though...

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:46 am

Yes, almost all of them are probably overkill for you, but not by that much, so don't be too unhappy.

I'd lean towards either the Enermax or the Be Quiet! The trouble with Be Quiet! is that it's hard to find outside of Europe, let alone within North America. However, I have heard good things about them. If you want on official SPCR recommendation, go with the Enermax, but the Be Quiet! may be just as good.

PS - I like this image. We should consider something like this for an SPCR logo:

snoxu

Post by snoxu » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:51 am

Pjotor wrote:With those system specs you'll probably be able to use a "brick" PSU (external, passively cooled). I can't help you with choosing from the list though...
That sounds like an interesting and cheap solution... I'm going to do some searching.

Thing is I have an abnormally noisy Be Quiet PSU that I'm returning...

I was thinking of getting something to replace it, but maybe I can return it and get some credit form this shop and more time to consider my options...

Thanks anyhow

snoxu

Post by snoxu » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:55 am

sthayashi: I'm from Portugal and I can buy the Be Quiet here, it's no problem...

More recommendations or thoughts are welcomed... :)