Experience of Silverstone SST-40F vs Seasonic Super Tornado

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

wing

Experience of Silverstone SST-40F vs Seasonic Super Tornado

Post by wing » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:17 pm

I just wish to write up something about the Silverstone SST-40F (the one with a fan, not the better-known fanless model) vs the Seasonic Super Tornado 400 (Rev A3).

I bought the SST-40F about the same time I discovered SPCR, when SPCR was just another review site and when I did not have a good enough idea of what well-known review sites there are (back then I did not even know about Tom's Hardware). Less than 2 months later, it is now replaced with a Seasonic.

Silverstone SST-40F:
Pros:
  • Longer and more cables, some cables sleeved
  • Decently quiet (at least when compared with my old generic PSU)
Cons:
  • When the PSU is switched on, I have to wait a few seconds before the computer's main power switch becomes functional
  • Sometimes, switching on the PSU would produce some kind of buzz and then my UPS would beep; I'll need to switch off the UPS (not just the PSU) and retry (I never figured out what's wrong)
Seasonic Super Tornado 400:
Pros:
  • Quieter than the SST-40F
  • There does not seem to be the few seconds of waiting time before the computer's main power switch becomes functional; I can switch on the PSU and then press the big power button at once
  • So far my UPS has not had the mysterious beeping problem
Cons:
  • Cables might be a bit short (I use a Nexus 120mm fan with a Zalman CNPS 6500 heat sink, it is almost impossible to connect the Nexus fan to the power supply while keeping the cabling reasonably tidy)
  • There might not be enough cables if you have many drives