UPS absolutely unacceptably noisy...

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

UPS absolutely unacceptably noisy...

Post by Edward Ng » Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:07 am

I have a Tripplite OmniVS 1000 that, under normal operation is so incredibly noisy that I can hear it even during regular daytime ambient noise levels (I live on a busy, multilane commercial street in the suburbs that has about 20-40 vehicles/minute mixed cars, busses and trucks daytime and drops as low as one car every 20-30 seconds by 3:00am, which is when I do all my acoustic listening tests). Don't even ask about when the power goes out (which I tested one day by cutting the breaker)!

I'm basically restricting myself to only utilizing it in the summertime when my air conditioner can help to drown the damn thing out; luckily, it's summertime that power delivery goes 3rd world nation in NY. Does anyone know of a similarly high capacity battery backup that won't make my ears bleed? It's quite necessary what with Con Ed's summertime reliability (can't completely blame them though, since they do have all of New York City to power)...

-Ed

wing

Post by wing » Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:29 am

Tripplite UPS... one of those which you can send it some commands and reprogramme it into an expensive power bar? :shock:

We have an APC unit in the server room at work. I can't hear it, but then it's a very noisy server room so I don't know if it'd sound ok in more normal ambiant noise levels.

Qwertyiopisme

Post by Qwertyiopisme » Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:54 am

wing wrote:Tripplite UPS... one of those which you can send it some commands and reprogramme it into an expensive power bar? :shock:

We have an APC unit in the server room at work. I can't hear it, but then it's a very noisy server room so I don't know if it'd sound ok in more normal ambiant noise levels.
My APC CS650 makes a bit of noise, although mainly when charging and running off battery (although the latter for makes no difference whatsoever, it's not that loud, probably under 35db). There is (at idle) a slightly unregular noise that has a very very high frequency, probably <18khz, ,so most adults can't hear it/hear it poorly, and it very very easy to dampen away, a thin layer of faom and a ½plywood box would be perfect and silence it nicely (it does however need air vents, as the air that comes out the top is warm).

EDIT: This is at something like 1.5m distance, and when my desk is between me and my UPS it's hard to hear, and I have not damped it in any way.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:15 pm

wing wrote:Tripplite UPS... one of those which you can send it some commands and reprogramme it into an expensive power bar? :shock:

If you mean with the convoluted Javascript-based software package that you can download free from the site and use once you plug the UPS in with USB, then yeah.

I don't understand how it makes the noises that it makes.

-Ed

Qwertyiopisme

Post by Qwertyiopisme » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:50 pm

Edward Ng wrote: I don't understand how it makes the noises that it makes.

-Ed
Why? What type of noise is it?

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:03 pm

Multiple different noises, a hum/buzz that's relatively low; only can pick it up when it's quieter, plus a truly obnoxious ticking noise that can be heard even in quite loud ambients.

-Ed

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: UPS absolutely unacceptably noisy...

Post by peteamer » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:41 pm

[sense of humour mode on..]...
Edward Ng wrote:I live on a busy, multilane commercial street in the suburbs that has about 20-40 vehicles/minute mixed cars, busses and trucks daytime and drops as low as one car every 20-30 seconds by 3:00am, which is when I do all my acoustic listening tests.

Begeezus :shock: ... I wish I had your background noise as a reference point...... :lol:

Mine ?.... nearest road with any significant traffic on it... greater than 1/2mile away,... usage... 'well' less than 1 car an hour at 03:00..........

If I'm very unlucky I may hear the occasional lorry (except on Wednesday afternoons when there are none... because Cornwall is on half day closing. (Local Joke :? ...) :lol: )....

[/sense of humour mode..]

Pete. :D

wing

Post by wing » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:17 pm

Edward Ng wrote:
If you mean with the convoluted Javascript-based software package that you can download free from the site and use once you plug the UPS in with USB, then yeah.
My bad... it's the Belkin UPS which is problematic, not the Tripp-Lite. :oops:

JimK

Post by JimK » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:52 pm

My UPS is silent in normal daytime use but it is too small for Ed's needs. It is an APC Back-UPS CS 350. It has a slight noise when it charges (first minute after power up) and then nothing. When running off the battery it is quite loud and I can hear the alarm from downstairs, beeping away.

Jim

8300ati

Post by 8300ati » Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:41 pm

Try Belkin http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSectionV ... _Id=201476
I don't have any of these models but I have just purchased three in the U.K which are rated at 1200VA and the buzz can only really be heard when you put your ear right next to the units. From 2 metres away they are very quiet.
The model is F6C120uk UNV. I guess the equivalent would be this model http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductP ... _Id=171958

Numbers

Post by Numbers » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:20 pm

I have the 1200VA belkin also, and I haven't heard a thing from it since I got it. You can also ge hem dirt cheap a Belkin's site, use the code"12345" for a 50% off coupon. I think I got mine for $60 or so.

xarope

Post by xarope » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:31 am

Hmm, I have an APC backup-es 525 (coz it has the USB connection which will alert the PC to shutdown), and I normally don't notice it when all is well. It's powering an AMD 2500+ with radeon 9600, and I have it on the floor about 1 m below the desk.

When all is not well, heck you can hear the beeping outside the apartment!

x1m

Re: UPS absolutely unacceptably noisy...

Post by x1m » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:51 am

peteamer wrote: If I'm very unlucky I may hear the occasional lorry (except on Wednesday afternoons when there are none... because Cornwall is on half day closing. )
Don't get me started on half day closing! Everytime i go to the bleeding post office, its always wed afternoon isnt it :cry:

ChucuSCAD
Patron of SPCR

Post by ChucuSCAD » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:33 am

Ed I have: an APC Smart - UPS 620 , a APC smart-ups 1400, and 2x APC back - ups XS 1000 's and they are all silent and as previously stated only make noise when they are actually filtering a line, recharging, or when the power goes out, of course with 4 UPSs the beep beep beep of them all is most annoying.

My suggestion would be to dump the one you have and go to an APC

chucuSCAD

echoes

Post by echoes » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:42 pm

My Belkin UPS (1000VA, I think) is usually silent, but occasionally makes a buzzing noise that's only audible if you're right next to the UPS.

Well, when AC is down and it's running off of battery, then it buzzes constantly and also beeps at you every 5 seconds. :lol:

Baker

Post by Baker » Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:17 pm

Edward Ng wrote:Multiple different noises, a hum/buzz that's relatively low; only can pick it up when it's quieter, plus a truly obnoxious ticking noise that can be heard even in quite loud ambients.

-Ed
I have the same model, and that ticking was also driving me insane.

I have it behind my desk, positioned so that the ticking gets projected to my left and right, and I really don't notice it anymore. I can't hear the hum/buzz, but I don't have the greatest hearing in the world.

We'll see if that ticking is still inaudible after I get my Nexus 120mm case fan and Phantom PSU installed...