The tale of the Phantom: How I got it for cheap

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

The tale of the Phantom: How I got it for cheap

Post by Pjotor » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:55 pm

Hi,

just wanted to share (and brag about) how I got a pretty much brand new Antec Phantom for 2/3 of the new price.

Saw the ad yesterday at lunch -- someone wanted to sell one. The ad had been in for three days, and the seller had gotten lots of calls. He didn't sell it before, because he didn't want to ship it; every previous caller had wanted it shipped. I spoke to him and drove the 80 or so kilometers from Uppsala to Stockholm.

Met the seller, he told me he had bought it to achieve lower noise (duh), but had completely forgotten that he has no other case fans except for the PSU. Since he's an avid gamer, his computer (with X800XT card) just wasn't stable after a couple of hours because of the heat. The store didn't take it back...

I got it for 1000 SEK (about 140 USD). Receipt showed it was a week old. Lowest price in Sweden for a new unit is 1481 SEK (about 210 USD). I'm a happier man now.

So, anyone wants to buy an L1A modded Zalman 400-watter...?

inertia8

Post by inertia8 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:43 pm

I am almost ready to purchase one of these. I can get them at almost 2/3's the price thru the pc store I work at...

I don't know if this one is a good psu or not to warrant the price tag... even at the discounted rate! :?

jonasy

Post by jonasy » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:18 am

Sweet deal. Tried it yet? I really would like one of those, but it's too much money for me right now. Lucky you I didn't see that ad ;)

Nice to see someone else from my hometown :) The world is small or something.

thekuai

Post by thekuai » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:03 pm

OT but you guys have those sweet 100 mbit connections in sweeden rite?

Mats

Post by Mats » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:18 pm

Uppsala REGERAR!!! :D

<En Upplänning i exil>

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:10 pm

hehe, Second time this week we see swedish in the forums. What is this, do we need a special thread for just sweedes?

On the off-topic topic (errrr... I think I understand myself;) though, I couldn't agree more. To bad you moved out from here, Mats:P

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:48 pm

Jonasy -- yes, I tried it, and it's, uh, silent... My suspended 7200.7 is now the noisiest (or the most non-silent) thing in my computer.

Thekuai -- yeah, some of us have 100 Mbit (not including me). Some Swedish cities have local area networks where independent providers can offer services, and this is why some ppl have very fast connections for a low price.

superdrive

Post by superdrive » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:59 pm

does the phantom get really hot?
thinking of buying one and using it externally, i have a small antec aria case... so the cable lengt should be a problem.
maybe mount it on some plexiglass and then set some nice rubber feet under it, then sleeve the cables.
would have liked it to come sleeved since its so expensive.

now i just need to find some store that sells acoustipack sff...

i get a cheap 2mbit connection via our local cabletv provider.
:)

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:41 pm

superdrive wrote:does the phantom get really hot?
thinking of buying one and using it externally, i have a small antec aria case... so the cable lengt should be a problem.
Heat is not an issue for me, and nothing to be concerned about if you keep it outside the case.

I have a Compucase 6A-21 -- another Sonata clone -- with a 120mm exhaust fan. I haven't had a really long gaming session yet, but so far there has been no trouble at all.

Mikael

Post by Mikael » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:42 am

You guys are wrong. Gothenburg rules you all! :P

Anyway, congrats on the Phantom! I have been thinking about a passive PSU for some time now, but external is pretty much a requirement for me, so I'm waiting for the Zalman NEPS400. When it finally arrives I should have a pretty much silent AthlonXP system! :)

Qwertyiopisme

Post by Qwertyiopisme » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:12 am

Wooo! Another Gothenburger!

Just out of curiousity, which stores do you know of that have good stuff? I only know of inet, microstore, microhard (and komplett and dustin, but they are mail-order).

Mikael

Post by Mikael » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:26 am

Qwertyiopisme wrote:Just out of curiousity, which stores do you know of that have good stuff? I only know of inet, microstore, microhard (and komplett and dustin, but they are mail-order).
Actually, there aren't many good stores that I know of. The better stuff usually has to be mailed. I would recommend http://www.pckungen.se, though. They don't have the absolute best selection of stuff, but they have very good prices on some things. Just order the parts on their site and choose the option "Hämtas i butik i GBG". You could off course just go to the store immedeately, but they don't have everything featured on the site available there. Ordered stuff should be there the next day if they have it in stock at the distribution center (also located in Gothenburg). :)

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:58 pm

I admit that I have been working there, but during those two months I worked there I was givven alot of headroom suggesting new stuff to order. This har so far resulted in them stocking Antec phantom, thermaltakes passive psu, the NCU-2000... I am sure, that if you send them a line and let them know you "talked" to me (Tobias) they would be more than willing to order one for you and one extra unit (at least:). I don't know if they have solved their ratings at Posten, yet, but when they do, their mailorder prices will drop to normal levels...

www.eis.nu

Mats

Post by Mats » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:20 pm

Pjotor or someone: How deep is the Phantom? It looks like 1" more than the standard 140 mm.
Antec says 140 mm in the specs though, strange... maybe another copy/paste failure.

The 500 W model is even deeper with the fan included.

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:36 pm

Mats wrote:Pjotor or someone: How deep is the Phantom? It looks like 1" more than the standard 140 mm.
*Looks at the retail box*

"Size: 15 (W) x 15.9 (D) x 8.6 (H) cm"

I think you're correct! Seems like it's 15.9 cm deep (about 0.8 inches deeper than the standard 140 mm for the metric challenged).

Rutger

Post by Rutger » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:38 am

I wonder how much my Gigabyte 6800NU (passive cooling) would like a Phantom. Perhaps the exhaust fan will be sufficient to keep the case cool if I increase it's voltage a bit.

Too bad that I bought a 500W Blue Storm lika a month ago. I got a little paranoid after I RMA'ed my first MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (Shouldn't have watched that Star Trek episode after the incident: "Scotty, we need more power.").

Oh yeah, I'm from Sweden too :shock:

peterson

Post by peterson » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:34 am

Mikael wrote:You guys are wrong. Gothenburg rules you all! :P
Indeed! :D