Looking for a silent PSU in Europe

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

DragonOptical
Friend of SPCR

Looking for a silent PSU in Europe

Post by DragonOptical » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:48 am

Hi,

Like you can see in my sig I'v got a Nexus Breeze case with a Nexus NX3500 PSU. The NX3500 is silent but I'm sure I could find an even more silent PSU, first I was looking for a Seasonic Super Silencer 460 (I'm looking for a 460w PSU because in a few months I will upgrade my system so I wanne be sure the PSU will be powerfull enough) but the only shop I found that sales the Super Silencer is asking allmost 200$ for it (the double of what they ask in America!) so now I'm looking for an alternative.
The two PSu's I have in mind are the Nexus NX-4090 ("only" 400w but there's no Nexus 460w at the moment) and the Silverstone ST46F (460w), now since SPCR has allready reviewed the NX-4090 I know what I can expect from it, but that's not the case for the ST46F.
I found a lot of reviews of the ST46F but a lot of them are contradictory, some of them says the ST46F has stable volt lines and is silent, other reviews say the exact opposite...
So I wanted to know if some of you guys had experiences with the ST46F and what you think about it.
Thx!

Josd

Post by Josd » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:08 am

I recently bought a Seasonic Super Silencer 460W in The Netherlands for €110,= for doing some testing.

I hooked it up to a computer once for about 30 minutes, but don't use it anymore. I decided to use the Enermax Noise taker 470W instead, because it has a 24 pin mainboard connector instead of the 20pin on the Seasonic.

If you're interested to buy the Seasonic just send me a PM.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:00 pm

Josd wrote:I recently bought a Seasonic Super Silencer 460W in The Netherlands for €110,= for doing some testing.
:shock: What! Where did you buy that one :?: I didn't know they where availlable overhere.

BTW Which revision is it? A1 / A2 / A3 / A4

DragonOptical,
Welcome to SPCR

DragonOptical
Friend of SPCR

Post by DragonOptical » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:39 am

Tibors: Thx!

I didn't knew there were revision 4 Seasonic PSU's...

After reading some more posts on this forum I found out a Seasonic Super Tornado rev. 3 or a Seasonic S12 will be more apropriate for me because of their 120mm fan. I use a Nexus Breeze case, so there's only one case-fan (intake) present in my case: a 120mm nexus-fan on the bottom of the case, so the only outtake-fan I have is the one from my PSU (another 120mm nexus-fan), that's why I decided it's better if I wait a little more (I'm really looking forward to read SPCR's S12 review) and buy a S12, probably from excaliberpc.com (it's a shame newegg.com doesn't ship to europe).

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:46 am

Tibors wrote:
Josd wrote:I recently bought a Seasonic Super Silencer 460W in The Netherlands for €110,= for doing some testing.
:shock: What! Where did you buy that one :?: I didn't know they where availlable overhere.
Yeah, double :shock:! Where'd you get it? Please tell!

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:45 pm

DragonOptical wrote:I didn't knew there were revision 4 Seasonic PSU's...
Oops, my bad. I meant B3 not A4. See: http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=18432

freak_in_cage

Post by freak_in_cage » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:56 pm

I hooked it up to a computer once for about 30 minutes, but don't use it anymore. I decided to use the Enermax Noise taker 470W instead, because it has a 24 pin mainboard connector instead of the 20pin on the Seasonic.

If you're interested to buy the Seasonic just send me a PM.
Josd m8, check your pm! :wink:

Josd

Post by Josd » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:00 am

My Seasonic Super Silencer 460W is rev A2. From reading the forums I understood that Rev. A3 is US only. I bought this unit anyway, just to have some first hand experience.

I bought the PSU from PA-Components, which is a computer case manufacturer and Seasonic OEM.

Contact info;
Tel: + 31 10 289 7171
Fax: +31 10 220 2775
E-mail: [email protected]
My contact was Arnaud de Klerk

freak_in_cage

Post by freak_in_cage » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:29 am

Josd wrote:My Seasonic Super Silencer 460W is rev A2. From reading the forums I understood that Rev. A3 is US only. I bought this unit anyway, just to have some first hand experience.

I bought the PSU from PA-Components, which is a computer case manufacturer and Seasonic OEM.

Contact info;
Tel: + 31 10 289 7171
Fax: +31 10 220 2775
E-mail: [email protected]
My contact was Arnaud de Klerk
check your pm m8, im interested in that PSU of yours!

DragonOptical
Friend of SPCR

Post by DragonOptical » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:43 am

DragonOptical wrote:Tibors: Thx!

I didn't knew there were revision 4 Seasonic PSU's...

After reading some more posts on this forum I found out a Seasonic Super Tornado rev. 3 or a Seasonic S12 will be more apropriate for me because of their 120mm fan. I use a Nexus Breeze case, so there's only one case-fan (intake) present in my case: a 120mm nexus-fan on the bottom of the case, so the only outtake-fan I have is the one from my PSU (another 120mm nexus-fan), that's why I decided it's better if I wait a little more (I'm really looking forward to read SPCR's S12 review) and buy a S12, probably from excaliberpc.com (it's a shame newegg.com doesn't ship to europe).
Well, now I'm hesitating again, so I'll need your help :)
What do you guys think: should I be better off with a PSU like the Seasonic ST or S12 (both with a 120mm outtake fan at the bottom of the PSU), or with a Seasonic SS (with a 80mm outtake fan at the end of the PSU), the reason why I'm hesitating is that the only fan I have in my case is a 120mm nexus fan, so if I buy a SS will it be able to exhaust enough air out of my case (I'm sure that won't be a problem with the ST/S12 right?)? And if I buy a ST or a S12 won't it become too warm (and start to make more noise) because their 120mm fan will be right above the cpu-cooler?
Thx!

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:22 am

In the Nexus Breeze all the hot air has to go through the PSU anyway. So a 120mm or 80mm fan makes no difference w.r.t. PSU heating by the CPU. They will both get heated for the same amount.

I don't think a SS will move enough air to cool the whole case. Plus a ST is a bit quieter to start with. So go for the ST (or S12).

DragonOptical
Friend of SPCR

Post by DragonOptical » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:39 am

Ok, thx for your reply! (I'll be waiting for the S12 review from SPCR to make up my mind between the S12 and the ST)