My Antec Phantom DIED!

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

technarch

My Antec Phantom DIED!

Post by technarch » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:05 am

Below is the message I wrote initially:

Sometime between 1 am and 11 am my computer shut itself off.

I came downstairs, and pressed the power button on my computer and it didn't turn on. So I turned off the power supply switch on the back, back on, and then pressed on. The lights on the front flickered and went dead again. So I turned it off again, waited a few seconds longer, back on again, and then pressed the button on the front and this time the computer booted up.

The ambient temperature inside my case was only 33 C celcius as measured by sensor, I find it very hard to believe that this would be warm enough to overload the power supply.

So I'm a little bummed now, because I am suspicious of the reliability of the PS now, and unlike Enermaxes, it doesn't stink of cooking fumes. And I liked my PS. :(

Addition:

Literally like one minute after I wrote the message above and was looking at a Phantom reliability poll here, it DIED on me. Tried doing what I did before, I could only get the blue light to flicker for a second it stayed dead this time. The phantom was NOT hot to the touch and the case was not warm either as I had just booted it up from a cold start.

SO.. rather than plugging in the smellific Enermax Noisetaker, I plugged in a ancient crappy 235 w sunshine supply that is lying around. It might be noisy but it doesn't smell and it at least works.

What a headache. I just wanted a power supply.

RMA time!

EdT

Post by EdT » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:01 am

I feel your pain, your just one of many Phantom user to experience the same ordeal.

If you haven't already posted on the poll, heres your chance to vent your frustrations: http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=18825