modular PSU cable supply better cooling - lower noise?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

dan

modular PSU cable supply better cooling - lower noise?

Post by dan » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:31 pm

while the seasonic is spcr's fav choice it does not offer modular connectors to plug in only the connectors you need.

certain PSU such as the OCZ modstream, antec neopower and the superflower allow you to plug in only the connectors you need.

if you only have a HD floppy and DVD-RW as i do, with no video vga power connector, the modular plug-in connection significantly reduces cable. i would imagine that would result in better airflow. the seasonic is traditional, and results in a cable nest impeding airflow.

also the superflower is all sleaved design.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:09 am

Have you seen what people here call cablegami?
Or the far simpler method I mostly use? Just leave the upper 5.25" drive bay empty and dump all the cables there.

Saves you some $ / €

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:57 am

I actually have a nice little space between the top of my PSU and case where I stuff all my unused wires.

Modular connectors are nice, but you can just as effectively tidy up by hiding cables above the power supply or in the 5.25" bay area as Tibors mentioned.

Just my $0.02. I think it still would've been nice if the S12s were modular, but I don't think it's that big of a deal.

dan

Post by dan » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:03 am

actually,
buying a 450 watt superflower PNP @ newegg would save me money over a 380 watt seasonic s12 from microcenter.

the only reason i would prefer the s12 over the superflower PNP is acoustics, and i wonder whether using a zalman fanmate 2 might eliminate even that advantage.

elasticdog

Post by elasticdog » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:46 am

You'd also have to consider things like efficiency, and you wouldn't necessarily just want to undervolt the stock PSU fan or you might get higher temperatures that are potentially unsafe.

I say modular power supplies are a good idea, but not really an idea that has been implemented well enough to be considered quiet by SPCR standards. If you take your time, you really can get most of the extra cables out of the airflow path, and probably save a bit of money too. Take a look at how I handled my cables from a Seasonic SS 350: Gallery Link

Qwertyiopisme

Post by Qwertyiopisme » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:48 am

IMO it is better not to have a modular PSU, as the contacts will give a significant voltage drop (a 24 to 20 pin adapter when loaded with an a64 setup had a 0.1V drop on all rails, which is not good for the 3.3V rail).

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:12 pm

I don't think that voltage drop will be a problem for all the 4-pin molex, SATA and floppy connectors. But a modular main cable and P4-cable is just plain stupid IMHO. You're going to use those anyway, so why make them removable.