Is Enermax Noisetaker 375W as quiet as Nexus NX-3000?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

harrikuk

Is Enermax Noisetaker 375W as quiet as Nexus NX-3000?

Post by harrikuk » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:14 am

Hi,

my less than two year old Nexus NX-3000 started to make a loud noise after last reboot, so I am thinking of replacing it before it blows and kills all the parts in my computer.

I think my choices are limited to Enermax EG375AX-VE SFMA or just grabbing another Nexus 300W. I am content with the noise level that Nexus makes (or rather made), so I want to know if the Enermax is as quiet or at least very close to it?
The PSU Chart has 8 on the noise of 325 W Enermax, same as Nexus. And the 465W model got 8 for noise also, but I would like some comments anyway. I am being paranoid with this, but aren't we all here, at least a little bit :D.

My current setup should be on the signature, so even if the Enermax is a little noisier than Nexus, that would mean it pushes more air out, and combined with higher efficiency -> less heat, and I could possibly remove my case fan altogether. Has anyone done a similar thing?

Another Nexus would be a relatively safe bet, but the Enermax would have ATX 2.01 support and much higher efficiency, and that is tempting me in a future proofing kind of way

Seasonic would probably be what I am looking for, but I can't get it here in Finland. And buying the Seasonic from a webshop in Europe (if I knew any) would probably take the price too high to consider (less than 100e is my goal, any higher and we are closing on fanless psu prices).

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:16 am

While I cannot accurately tell you which one is better in terms of noise since it is too far back for me to remember, I do want to recommend to you, though, to get the second revision of the NoiseTaker series. The 1st rev has very stiff cabling.

martinreed22

Post by martinreed22 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:27 pm

Not sure this really helps you much :) but I swapped out a Nexus 3000 (needed elsewhere) for a Nexus 4090. Found the 4090 was even quieter. I run P4 plus a gaggle of drives so likely a bit further up the power (hence PSU fan noise curve) than some.

cheers, martin

frankgehry

Enermax

Post by frankgehry » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:57 pm

H,

I have the enermax noisetaker listed below and I am very happy with it. I'm not that familiar with the nexus, but the enermax never seems to ramp up and since the fans are almost always at the same speed, the cpu fan speed stays constant as well. I don't think the two fan arangement of the enermax is especially good at moving air from the case. I usually just feel a small amount of warm air coming from the psu. - FG

HellDiver

Post by HellDiver » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:47 am

I've the 600W Noisetaker, and it's pretty much silent apart from a slight ticking from the 80mm fan. I've a L1A to go in there which should sort that problem.