Panoflow12L (8cm)

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

kingsize

Panoflow12L (8cm)

Post by kingsize » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:27 am

At last I found a ditributor for these little legends in the UK, and at a reasonable price too (dare I say that scan.co.uk sell them?). I just modded an older ATX1.2 enermax PSU with one of them and I have to say the difference is quite noticable (there's an article on how to do this on the main pages).

In order to get these beauties working as system fans, all you need to do is cut off the two diples or protruberances on the 2-pin socket using a pair of scissors - they sheer off easily. They will then fit nicely into your motherboard or zalman-type connector.

HellDiver

Post by HellDiver » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:14 am

www.dorothybradbury.co.uk - reasonable prices and excellent service for Panaflo fans.

Been getting mine from her for years.

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:55 am

A bit more on Dorothy and newer Panaflos:

Her prices are very nice IMO and shipping is just dirt cheap. I actually prefer the new 80M1A (4F and later) over the new 80L1A. They have very small difference in airflow (27CFM/32CFM), but the M1A has only very little or no bearing / motor noise at 5V-12V range. You can only hear this if you literally stick it in your ear.

Also, the newest batch 80M1A (4L) should be even better than the previous production batches. I have only had one sample of the Japan made Panaflos and that was a 80L1BX, not 1A. However, I did not like it. Apparently the Japan made Panaflo that has the reference status have to be similar to the newest 80M1A regarding quality and motor / bearing noise level.

Apparently Ralf Hutter / Neil Blanchard sampled the new Panaflos, but didn't seem to like them. This I find a bit puzzling, may have been knocked around in transport? However, not sure if they sampled the L1A or the M1A.

The point is, atleast european customers should probably be considering the M1A over the L1A considering SPCR standards. I'm hoping that the L1A will pick up the ball once again when they are being made in the MMM production plants. If they could make an 80L1A with the same quality they make the 80M1A, this could be the same as the "SPCR Reference Japanoflo 80L"

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:27 am

Aleksi wrote: Apparently Ralf Hutter / Neil Blanchard sampled the new Panaflos, but didn't seem to like them. This I find a bit puzzling, may have been knocked around in transport? However, not sure if they sampled the L1A or the M1A.
I played with three of the "M3" M1A's, which I got from Digi-Key, not Dorothy. It's certainly possible that they were mishandled somewhere upstream, but otherwise, they seemed just like the typical "pre-Minebea" Chinaflos that I've been dealing with.

See this thread, especially the last 8-9 replies, for a good discussion of this topic.