any negatives with using an extension cable kit to...

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

andyd

any negatives with using an extension cable kit to...

Post by andyd » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:43 am

compensate for short power cables? i see some concerns from people over using extension cables but has there been any cases where it actually was the cause of a problem?

Otter

Post by Otter » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:27 am

Any sort of extension or adapter can cause a significant voltage drop when the current is high enough. A single drive will probably be okay. A large, daisy-chained RAID array running on a single extension cable is probably not a good idea. Even 20 to 24pin adapters can cause problems for some motherboards.

The issue is not so much the length of the cable as the resistance of the connection. If you solder your extension cables instead of using quick connectors, you shouldn't have too much trouble.

If you have a "wireless" PSU, I'd stay away from extensions, as you'll already have at least one extraneous connector per circuit at the PSU.

Mystr_Byrnz

Post by Mystr_Byrnz » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:30 pm

Would an extension cable on the 12V (4pin) aux line cause any negative affects on a S12 500?

I bought the P180 and I'm wanting a little more slack on my 12v aux line, but I don't wanna do that if it's going to give me problems.

Besides a tight fit on the 4pin line, the Seasonic is the perfect PSU for my rig. I'd really like someone to tell me the extension won't cause me any greif on that line, but I'd rather get an honest answer. :P

/bumping this thread. :)

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:58 pm

Mystr_Byrnz wrote:Would an extension cable on the 12V (4pin) aux line cause any negative affects on a S12 500?

I bought the P180 and I'm wanting a little more slack on my 12v aux line, but I don't wanna do that if it's going to give me problems.

Besides a tight fit on the 4pin line, the Seasonic is the perfect PSU for my rig. I'd really like someone to tell me the extension won't cause me any greif on that line, but I'd rather get an honest answer. :P

/bumping this thread. :)
Its been said before... Its short for a reason, any longer and they would have had to go to a thicker wire, and that would have made the cable difficult to work with.

Mystr_Byrnz

Post by Mystr_Byrnz » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:24 pm

Thanks Vulcan. While it's not what I really wanted to hear, it's better to get that answer than to fry my gear.

How/why can these extenders be sold if it creates a dangerous environment for the computer they're going into? I just don't understand that.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:29 pm

They're not really dangerous exactly. It's just that Seasonic cannot guarantee the tolerance rating. Under very high loads, it will not be within 5% (or whatever Seasonic's internal tolerances are) of the voltage.

Mystr_Byrnz

Post by Mystr_Byrnz » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:33 am

So on a system running a 3200 AMD64, 2 hard drives and a 6800GT (maybe 2 eventually) the only thing I'd need to be concerned with is effciency?

SO it won't fry anything right? I mean even at full load, the PSU shouldn't be too stressed. . .right?

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:46 pm

Not efficiency (or, not only efficiency). Voltage regulation. Using an extension can cause voltage drops, which in turn reduces efficiency. So, no you're not going to fry anything. the worst that will happen is your computer might be unstable, but most people have no problems using these extensions. Unless you're really pressing the limits of your system by messing with voltages and CPU frequency, you should be fine.

Mystr_Byrnz

Post by Mystr_Byrnz » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:54 pm

^Thanks. :) Finally an answer I can understand. :P

I don't plan to mess with voltages or do any kind of overclocking. I like to use parts at their rated speeds/specs, and i've never been one to adjust much. Heck I don't even know the proper way to adjust voltages if I wanted to.

KK. buying the s12-500 and the extender. This will fit my P180 nicely. :)

I just got the case today, and started puting in the parts I already have. Wow. what a beautiful case. :)