Silverstone PSU Acoustic Cover

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

xenithon

Silverstone PSU Acoustic Cover

Post by xenithon » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:06 am

I was browsing to find info on the new Silverstone cases when I came across this: their new PSU Acoustic Cover.

Just wanted to gather any thoughts about the product - what do you guys think??

Cheers,
X

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:41 am

Heh....another company copying my original design, without even giving me credit...

Actually the design works pretty well....but there is some airflow reduction (back-pressure). I tried at least four versions of this concept. The Silverstone model looks like it should work.

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:15 pm

Ooooh, interesting. I was going to build my own version of this, but I wasn't sure how I wanted the air to exit..... I have to say this looks much sexier than what I had planned though. *files away in back of mind*

xenithon

Post by xenithon » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:39 am

Bluefront wrote:Heh....another company copying my original design, without even giving me credit...
Hey there,

Unfortunately Silverstone isn't available here (only a few privately imported cases here) and I would be very interested in making something like this to keep the wind noise down. How would I go about making one? Do you have any details on the one you made?

Cheers,
X

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:51 am

This picture shows the underside. The riveted on brackets I made, allow it to be installed either blowing down, or up.....attached to the case using the two upper side panel mount screws.

There is a gradual curve to the airfow, and the underside was lined with paxmate. Blowing upward doesn't affect airfow rates, but blowing down does give some restriction (the quietest direction).

I made the thing out of a cut-up center arm rest from a Nissan Altima, but with some searching I suspect you could find a suitable object to modify. The armrest is plastic with a removable rubber cover (hides the rivets). It was perfect for this application.

Here's an earlier, more radical version, used on a low-powered machine. It was really quiet. :lol:

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:59 am

I just ordered one of these. Costed ~10e, so I thought what the heck.

akambe

Post by akambe » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:20 pm

Am shopping for quiet PC components, and while looking for a PS found this acoustic cover. Tiger Direct has 'em for $5, although I admit I haven't looked elsewhere yet. At $5, it's certainly not worth my time to "roll my own," so will end up getting this (along with a quiet PS, if I can find one within my price range!).

Bobfantastic

Post by Bobfantastic » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:02 am

Hmm...
If you had this blowing down, probably onto the same area as the rear case fan, the low air pressure caused by the exhaust should actually improve airflow through the PSU, much like blowing across the end of a straw to raise the liquid inside, shouldn't it?
:?:

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:25 am

Since this thread has resurfaced, I'm gonna give a small update.

I honestly can't tell, if it made any difference acoustically. The installation wasn't as smooth as I hoped for. The cover was hard to fit to my case. I could only install it, if I first removed the top cover from my case and even then it was a pain, but I'm sure this won't be a problem with most cases.

You better have you power cord attached to your PSU, before you install the cover, because afterwards it's much harder to attach. Cable with a 90 degree angle in the connector, would be nice with this.

I can summarize my feelings of this cover with one word: meh.