Antec Phantom 500 Noise??!!??!!

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

thp

Antec Phantom 500 Noise??!!??!!

Post by thp » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:59 pm

Anyone with the phantom 500 hear a very faint really high pitch sound? The best thing I can compare it to is like a cricket or some sort of weird chirping. :twisted:

It's driving me nuts! It's very faint, but it's giving me a headache. Also, high frequency noises also tend to give me a headache easily, like 17khz+. :evil:

Is it a faulty phantom? Or is this high pitch noise just the way it is. :?:

Other then that, it's fantastic. I swapped out an old Antec TP 550 for the phantom and I love how much quieter my computer is. Just need to swap out the stock fans in the lian-li 6070 next. :wink:

And my system temps got better somehow. CPU idle went from 40C to 36C. Even my 7800GTX went down from 51C to 46C. How is it possible that my CPU and Videocard have lower temps? I though with the old Antec TP 550, that fans would get all of the heat away from the power supply and the phantom just dumped all the heat into the case. :idea:

The phantom would be perfect if it weren't for the high freq noise. Someone told me to try getting rid of the blue light in the back because it could be making noise, is that even possible? :?:

Any suggestion on what I should do? Return it, keep it, use some kind of dampening to reduce high freq. noises?

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Oh, system specs in case that would help.

CASE: lian li 6070
CPU: P-M 2.0 Ghz
RAM: 2x512
HD: 1x raptor, 4x400 seagate
VIDEO: 7800GTX

alex7575

Post by alex7575 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:33 pm

Not sure what the sound may be, but what I've heard around the block is that when a PSU is at its last legs, it starts making noises.

I think you may have gotten a defective unit.

About the temps going down... let us know if you find out the reasoning. I'd be very interested to know if related to the PSU swap.

Shadowknight

Re: Antec Phantom 500 Noise??!!??!!

Post by Shadowknight » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm

thp wrote: Is it a faulty phantom? Or is this high pitch noise just the way it is. :?:
Could be a problem with the coils. Try exchanging it first. My 350w Phantom used to have a very very high pitched buzzing, but it went away after a few months.
Other then that, it's fantastic. I swapped out an old Antec TP 550 for the phantom and I love how much quieter my computer is. Just need to swap out the stock fans in the lian-li 6070 next. :wink:
Ew. If you haven't already, use metal snips to cut out the grills. Unless Lian Li revised it, I remember that that model has some extremely restrictive grills.
And my system temps got better somehow. CPU idle went from 40C to 36C. Even my 7800GTX went down from 51C to 46C. How is it possible that my CPU and Videocard have lower temps? I though with the old Antec TP 550, that fans would get all of the heat away from the power supply and the phantom just dumped all the heat into the case. :idea:
I don't know what the specs are on your old Antec, but the Phantoms have some of the highest efficiencies available in a PSU. Higher efficiency means less heat. Also, while Aluminum is generally useless for decreasing temps, in this case the PSU uses a combination of air (the case fan beneath it) and conduction of heat via metal-to-metal contact with the case. In your instance the aluminum probably has an advantage over steel in conducting heat away from the PSU.
The phantom would be perfect if it weren't for the high freq noise. Someone told me to try getting rid of the blue light in the back because it could be making noise, is that even possible? :?:
Probably not. MikeC couldn't even disassable one for his review. Again, I would recommend exchanging it first. Otherwise consider returning it and trying a Silverstone or Etasis PSU, maybe even the Fortran Zen. (not reviewed by SPCR, though).
Any suggestion on what I should do? Return it, keep it, use some kind of dampening to reduce high freq. noises?
Mm. Acoustipack is supposed to help with high frequency noise. However in your instancec the PSU is exposed outside the environs of the case, so I doubt it would help much.

Good luck.

MikeDeuce

Post by MikeDeuce » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:56 pm

YES! You are not alone: http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... highlight=
(no help there, 0 replies :( )

I emailed Antec asking for a replacement fan, they said RMA it... but I've already voided the warranty, so hey. Was going to try replacing the fan with a quiet 80x80x25 and keeping the front cover off to allow for the deeper fan.

The blue light is not a cathode or anything. It is a little piece of acrylic with an LED at the end. Removing it will not remedy the chirp noise nor the really really faint electro-buzzing noise.

thp

Post by thp » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:58 pm

I'm so glad I buy locally as much as I can. Exchanged the phantom today and have the new one hooked up so far.

The annoying noise is mostly gone, it's still there but it's less intense then it was before, I have to try and notice it now, when before it was obvious.

My system temps are still low compared to the old antec 550. So I guess this power supply is somehow dumping less heat in my case.

My 6070 case has been clipped, I have two open 80mm holes in the back for exhausting air, the old hole was horrible, it didn't let any air out.

I can't find any nexus fans locally so it looks like i'm gonna have to order them, :( I don't like paying for shipping.

After this I feel a little adventurous, I might try hd suspension next! :lol:

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:53 pm

You might try some different clock speed/voltages/fsb speeds. My power supply whines at some settings, but not at others. I have an antec 380S, just for referance.

btw - Welcome to SPCR!

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:59 pm

It is feasible that you have 2 bad power supplies.

Also, could it be you have motors and odd crud on that line where you plug your psu into?

does it for lots of things. im no physics or math guy (and i like to keep it that way) but.... tis possible?

I say its 2 bad units.

or else, maybe it's in your head. like those voices.

I hate them. make them stop.