Sigh...Just what we all need

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:08 am

wouldn't multiple high efficiency psu's be a better answer then a massive 1kW psu?

mathias

Post by mathias » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:21 am

DryFire wrote:wouldn't multiple high efficiency psu's be a better answer then a massive 1kW psu?
But how many cases allow for multiple PSU's? Even the newer stackers don't. Is it even safe to use two PSU's to power one component? eg in a computer with 4 dual cores and 5 video cards, all highly overvolted and with one or two of the cards being SLI on one board.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:39 pm

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:44 pm

:shock:

Well, I did some digging and I wasn't surprised.

Originally cast for the part of 'Darth Sidious':

They found it too immobile so Ian McDiarmid carried it under the cloak.

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:11 am

rpsgc wrote:FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S HOLY! A 1100W PSU FROM OCZ! (and this one is *bleeping* big)
......... <mouth drops open>..........

I am out of word.

mathias

Post by mathias » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:35 am

rpsgc wrote:FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S HOLY! A 1100W PSU FROM OCZ! (and this one is *bleeping* big)
At least they just bolted two other power supplies together, instead of wastefully making a new device for something so frivolous.

hightower

Post by hightower » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:17 am

Would you trust OCZ enough to make a 1100w psu that is reliable when their powerstream series are failing again and again. I wouldn't. :? Remember the same company who makes OCZ also makes tagan and be-quiet units and these aren't exactly topping the charts in reliability. :cry:

PositiveSpin

Post by PositiveSpin » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:47 pm

That 1000W power supply is not very pretty. Compare it with the 850W beast from PC Power and Cooling: http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/ ... how=T85SSI - note that this one supports 950W peak (that's real close to 1000W!)

I know which I'd prefer to install in an insano machine (because you wouldn't use either in anything sensible!)

BTW: note that that the 1000W unit doesn't have a power switch on the back? I guess that's because you have to shut down the warp engines to cut the power :-)

One thing I am certain of: I would not want to install either of these in a case that used the back panel screws alone to hold the power supply :-)

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:13 pm

Well, if they make it 70% efficiency in optimal heat situation, and of course that's impossible... then it heats up hot in gaming sucking hot air in a negative pressure case, then it drops more efficiency....

you could wind up with a 600 watts of usable power!

talk about marketing hype. Give me phantom 350 and a 120 mm papst fan and I could run intel dual core with sli.

tragic psu for the masses.
----------------

EDIT:

OH MY! I just noticed that OCZ one. 1100 watts. LOL dual psu :) hey, it isnt a bad idea actually.

parallel phantom 350's would be a great idea. give them each their own chambers and undervolted external 120mm fans. could be the start of something for making a super quiet performance sli type of setup.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:42 pm

Now my mind is trying to come up with ways of utilizing a 1000W PSU. Some ideas I've had:
-Charging your car batteries (this one may be feasible with current PSUs).
-Building an internal laser printer.
-Running several VFDs on your case.
-Removing the power transformer from your and just using your PSU.
-Include a docking station onto your case for your laptop.
-Powering your 12V beer fridge (made for cars) that you keep beside your computer. You DO have one, right?
-Putting several nice incandescent bulbs that turn on when you open up your computer case so that you can see every corner of your case when you work on it.
-Getting a pluggable TEC for a mug that you drink coffee or soda out of. One side of the TEC will keep drinks hot, the other side will keep it cold.

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:17 pm

This is really encroaching on the limits for power. In the US anything which draws over 15 amps (1875W) is required to have its own dedicated power line.