Alternatives to Seasonic

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

alexo

Alternatives to Seasonic

Post by alexo » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:40 am

Seems like the new Seasonics have issues with DFI boards.

I am still waiting for some components to arrive so I haven't yet assembled my PC but if it turns out that my S12-430 does not play well with the DFI NF4 Ultra-D, what other PSUs are reliable, efficient and quiet?

The PSU "recommended" page is quite bare.

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:04 am

Why wouldn't it play well?

alexo

Post by alexo » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:54 am

vertigo wrote:Why wouldn't it play well?
Read this thread

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:47 am

Sounds like it's DFI's fault, if the Seasonic conforms to the Intel spec. Why did you get that board anyway?

nici

Post by nici » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:05 am

Its a bloody good board, why not get it? Its considered the best OC board so it should also be the most stable board during normal use. Im perfectly satisfied with it, and i dont think im the only one.

If you run your memory at normal voltages they should work fine together, wich other mobo delivers such high voltages for memory? no one. If i understood correctly people who ran their memory voltage jumper in the normal position had no problems with the S12, those who used the 5V option had problems.

check this thread out for some more info and a fix for the problemo. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... hp?t=65481

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:33 am

Its a bloody good board
It's so good it doesn't work with a power supply that conforms to the specification. And on that linked forum, you can just taste the dislike for Seasonic for that. Sheep, all of them.

alexo

Post by alexo » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:07 pm

vertigo wrote:Sounds like it's DFI's fault, if the Seasonic conforms to the Intel spec. Why did you get that board anyway?
Because it allows me to overvolt the memory (OCZ VX), mod it to SLI with a pencil, etc.
Because it got rave reviews and numerous "Editor choice" awards on several well-regarded sites.

Why don't we stick to the topic instead of going on a tangent?
My question was about PSUs, not about DFI.

alexo

Post by alexo » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:10 pm

nici wrote:If i understood correctly people who ran their memory voltage jumper in the normal position had no problems with the S12, those who used the 5V option had problems.
Unfortunately, some people had problems with DFI and Seasonic with the jumper at normal voltage as well.

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:44 pm

It's anybody's guess which power supplies will work. The reason the recommended list is sparse is because it lists the best (I guess, I haven't looked at it).

Search the forums, there have been a few threads very recently about reliable power supplies. Obviously you will find less information about 500W+ power supplies because most people here don't care to overclock or run overblown PC's.

nici

Post by nici » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:51 pm

OK so no mobo is perfect. This one apparently has problems with the S12. Some other board has other problems. Some PSUs go poof without any apparent reason. Big deal, life´s a beach, then you learn to type :lol:

As to the original question,
what other PSUs are reliable, efficient and quiet?
¨
I have no idea. Seasonics just became available in Finland and they are ridiculously expensive despite the weak dollar, and i have no experience with them so i cant say how quiet they really are. I can only recommend the Antec Phantom wich im currently using with one of these DFI boards, no problems as of yet and its been running for half a year or so.

All the fanned PSUs i´ve owned have been too noisy for me, despite being marketed as "virtually silent" and "super silent" or some other marketing BS. Thats why i went fanless. Maybe a S12 would satisfy me, i dont know, but the units cost almost as much as the Phantom here so im not going to buy one just to test it out...

Correct me if im wrong, but i think Mike C said something like the S12 is the most quiet fanned PSU money can buy at the moment, period. in a recent thread.

I say go with the S12, if it doesnt work RMA it. Buy it from a place with decent return policy just to make shure.

The fanless Etasis/Silverstone seems to be a bit more reliable than the Phantom, i have never owned one though but people seem to like it.

Any PSU can go kaboom.

afrost

Post by afrost » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:53 pm

pick up an antec phantom 500 watt. the fan only kicks in when needed and it should be pretty darn stable for overclocking.

SST Guy
-- Vendor --

Post by SST Guy » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:52 pm

I'd like to add that we have two DFI NF4 boards on our test bed here and they both work well with the ST30NF and overclocked to 300MHz FSB.

stickx

Post by stickx » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:42 am

I also have the DFI NF4 Ultra-D and couldn't get my S12-430 to work. :( It was stuck at 4 red LEDs. Fans all spin up but no post. Just got an Enermax 565 and the board boots up fine. :D Go figure. I really didn't think that the S12-430 would have a problem posting with only 1 stick of RMA, the CPU & fan, and a PCI video card, but it wouldn't go anywhere. The Enermax worked like a charm. It may be a weee bit noisier, but I don't have it a case yet, so I don't know if I will be able to hear it or not.