Hiper Type-r modular Vs Tagan Easyconnect series - nonspcr?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

noac

Hiper Type-r modular Vs Tagan Easyconnect series - nonspcr?

Post by noac » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:21 am

Hi,

As I know it, these aren't 2 very popular PSU here at SPCR. However both are modular, sli ready, steady and claimed to be quite quiet.

Im just wondering if any of you who appreciate the sound of silence have used, heard, read anything worth knowing about these PSU. Maybe the speccs tell you something clear that im missing?

Tagan http://www.tagan.com/pages/products/eas ... K_mini.pdf

Hiper http://www.hipergroup.com/English/produ ... 4b580.html

Thanks for replying,

Noac

niels007

Post by niels007 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:09 am

The Tagan doesn't look too bad, I like that they specify fan speed at % load. If you pick the other components with silence in mind (i.e. AMD, single gfx card) you won't stress the powersupply a lot and should be pretty quiet.

CplJellyfish

Hiper Type R

Post by CplJellyfish » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:24 am

hi

I've not looked into the Tagan, but I have read extensively on the hiper Type R, as this PSU appealed to me - I thought it would be a quiter replacement for my Thermaltake...

Anyway, I found many many utterly trivial reviews, where they basically look at it, jumpstart it, and then put it away again. They all say it's very quiet. I wasn't convinced, simply because having read all the PSU reviews here, it was obvious that no real load testing or noise-level testing was going on. I continued my search, and found 2 articles of particular note.

One is in French, and can be found here: http://www.matbe.com/articles/alims/hip ... /page1.php

I am English, and have a schoolboy grasp of written french, but I get the impression that the Hiper is noisy under load, particularly if you up your vcore voltages (presumably if you are aggressively overclocking).

This guy has a very different test methodology to SPCR, and so results may not be directly comparable. However, the graph at http://www.matbe.com/articles/alims/hip ... /page9.php speaks for itself - the fans are noisy under load, and other PSUs are quieter.

If there are any native French speakers on the board, a better translation would be very useful!!

The second article I found was at Toms Hardware:
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20050 ... st-06.html

Again, techniques are wildly different from SPCR methods, but Tom and his boys measure the Hiper at 61.1 dB(A) at a distance of 12cm, and at FULL LOAD! Don't ask me why they chose this distance, maybe they like to stick their heads inside the case wen they're using their computers - I find the 1m distance that SPCR quote to be substantially more realistic. However, it can be seen that the Seasonic S12-600, under the same conditions registers 59dB(A) at 12cm, FULL LOAD!! I guess I find this a bit surprising, but I also know that the Seasonic will not reach peak fan speeds until much later than most other PSUs because of the way the fan controller is calibrated, and I do not expect to draw > 300W for several upgrade cycles.

The quietest in the test, at full load, was the Enermax Noisetaker EG701AX-VE(W), at 58.6dB(A) at 12cm.

I have found no data on the ramp up behaviour of the Hiper fan controller, over the power delivery range. I have decided against getting one, and instead getting a Seasonic S12-430, as I believe that 9 months later, I will not care whether the cables are modular, UV-reactive, shiny, etc etc, but if I can hear the damn thing, it will make me angry!!

Hope this helps....

CplJellyfish

PS I did email Hiper requesting that they submit a sample to SPCR, I've had no response from them, perhaps they are afraid?

PPS Thanks to everyone at SPCR for taking the time to put this site together, I think it's one of the best computing resources around.

noac

Post by noac » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:08 am

niels007 wrote:The Tagan doesn't look too bad, I like that they specify fan speed at % load. If you pick the other components with silence in mind (i.e. AMD, single gfx card) you won't stress the powersupply a lot and should be pretty quiet.
Hmm, might be using 2*7800GT in a somewhat near future depending on what it brings. You dont think 430W is enough? I dont belive that these cards need 36A to power themselfs.

noac

Re: Hiper Type R

Post by noac » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:53 am

CplJellyfish wrote:hi

I've not looked into the Tagan, but I have read extensively on the hiper Type R, as this PSU appealed to me - I thought it would be a quiter replacement for my Thermaltake...

Anyway, I found many many utterly trivial reviews, where they basically look at it, jumpstart it, and then put it away again. They all say it's very quiet. I wasn't convinced, simply because having read all the PSU reviews here, it was obvious that no real load testing or noise-level testing was going on. I continued my search, and found 2 articles of particular note.

One is in French, and can be found here: http://www.matbe.com/articles/alims/hip ... /page1.php

I am English, and have a schoolboy grasp of written french, but I get the impression that the Hiper is noisy under load, particularly if you up your vcore voltages (presumably if you are aggressively overclocking).

This guy has a very different test methodology to SPCR, and so results may not be directly comparable. However, the graph at http://www.matbe.com/articles/alims/hip ... /page9.php speaks for itself - the fans are noisy under load, and other PSUs are quieter.

If there are any native French speakers on the board, a better translation would be very useful!!

The second article I found was at Toms Hardware:
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20050 ... st-06.html

Again, techniques are wildly different from SPCR methods, but Tom and his boys measure the Hiper at 61.1 dB(A) at a distance of 12cm, and at FULL LOAD! Don't ask me why they chose this distance, maybe they like to stick their heads inside the case wen they're using their computers - I find the 1m distance that SPCR quote to be substantially more realistic. However, it can be seen that the Seasonic S12-600, under the same conditions registers 59dB(A) at 12cm, FULL LOAD!! I guess I find this a bit surprising, but I also know that the Seasonic will not reach peak fan speeds until much later than most other PSUs because of the way the fan controller is calibrated, and I do not expect to draw > 300W for several upgrade cycles.

The quietest in the test, at full load, was the Enermax Noisetaker EG701AX-VE(W), at 58.6dB(A) at 12cm.

I have found no data on the ramp up behaviour of the Hiper fan controller, over the power delivery range. I have decided against getting one, and instead getting a Seasonic S12-430, as I believe that 9 months later, I will not care whether the cables are modular, UV-reactive, shiny, etc etc, but if I can hear the damn thing, it will make me angry!!

Hope this helps....

CplJellyfish

PS I did email Hiper requesting that they submit a sample to SPCR, I've had no response from them, perhaps they are afraid?

PPS Thanks to everyone at SPCR for taking the time to put this site together, I think it's one of the best computing resources around.
Yeah seems like you are on the same page as me. However my alternative to hiper didnt really seem better with higher volt at load. I would have gone with s12-430 but, it seems that it doesn't support sli nor have single pci-e cable in the bundle, am I mistaken? Aslo the cables are short for a a8n-sli pre build with p180.

Im really liking the idea of modular psu since I wont be using much of the cables at start. Toms review is worse than most I think, really looking like a kid made it, making fun of modular cables and that they put effort in appearance. I dont like that hiper-r is frown upon just bcos it looks shiny, it seems to be solid. However Im concerned about the increase of dB's under load.

s12-500 is some what out of my pricerange. still would have been nice to seen how it would have compared in that french review.

I have also contacted Hiper about letting spcr reviewing the PSU.

Btw Im from Europe, is Tagan sold as BeQuiet in the US?

CplJellyfish

Re: Hiper Type R

Post by CplJellyfish » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:15 am

noac wrote:
Yeah seems like you are on the same page as me. However my alternative to hiper didnt really seem better with higher volt at load. I would have gone with s12-430 but, it seems that it doesn't support sli nor have single pci-e cable in the bundle, am I mistaken? Aslo the cables are short for a a8n-sli pre build with p180.

s12-500 is some what out of my pricerange. still would have been nice to seen how it would have compared in that french review.

Yes, the S12-430 has no PCI-E connector, but you could get elsewhere a 2 Molex -> 1 PCI-E convertor for only a few quid (I am in the UK). SLI would be more difficult - personally I can't imagine ever running an SLI config. The s12-500 would be ideal, as you say, but I agree it's too expensive.

noac

S12-430 possible for SLI?

Post by noac » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:21 am

After reading the PSU guide and spcr 6pc testing im wondering if the 70W between s12-430 and s12-500 is no more than marketing.

The s12-430 doesnt come with even 1 pci-e connector but you can use a molex adapter for that. Can you use 2 molex adaptors to run sli with the s12-430?

Shouldnt it be possible to run sli with 2*6800GT or 2*7800GT with a s12-430W PSU?

Possible reply:
Why dont just buy the s12-500 and be done with it? - well only 1 company sells seasonic in sweden and the price diffrence is about $50 - thats why.

Anyone think it would work?

CplJellyfish

Re: S12-430 possible for SLI?

Post by CplJellyfish » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:30 am

noac wrote: Can you use 2 molex adaptors to run sli with the s12-430?

Shouldnt it be possible to run sli with 2*6800GT or 2*7800GT with a s12-430W PSU?
The Molex -> PCI-E power cable i saw required 2 Molex -> 1 PCI-E. So to create 2 PCI-E power connectors, you would have to sacrifice 4 Molex connectors!

The s12-430 comes with 6 Molex + 2 SATA power, so you'd be left with 2 Molex to run fans, optical drives, PATA drives. I couldn't do this, without further Y-splitters, so if I really really wanted SLI I would get a PSU with dedicated connectors.

noac

Post by noac » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:47 am

CplJellyfish wrote:
noac wrote: Can you use 2 molex adaptors to run sli with the s12-430?

The Molex -> PCI-E power cable i saw required 2 Molex -> 1 PCI-E. So to create 2 PCI-E power connectors, you would have to sacrifice 4 Molex connectors!

The s12-430 comes with 6 Molex + 2 SATA power, so you'd be left with 2 Molex to run fans, optical drives, PATA drives. I couldn't do this, without further Y-splitters, so if I really really wanted SLI I would get a PSU with dedicated connectors.
Hmm, very good point. Damn, those guys at SS really thought this through, guess ill have to buy the s12-500 then.

peterson

Post by peterson » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:38 am

noac wrote: Possible reply:
Why dont just buy the s12-500 and be done with it? - well only 1 company sells seasonic in sweden and the price diffrence is about $50 - thats why.
I know 2 companies that sells the S12 range. overclockers.se and kylning.com.

hightower

Post by hightower » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:08 pm

why don't you give that modular tagan a try. www.databutikken.com got them and they are in your country, but they are a bit pricey.