Seasonic S12-430 - non-standard wiring / connectors?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Sam Williams

Seasonic S12-430 - non-standard wiring / connectors?

Post by Sam Williams » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:15 am

My new build went very smoothly this weekend - thanks for all the advice, everyone - and I'm up and running, enjoying the speed and finding the minimum stable Vcore for my Pentium-M. More on the system once I've finished building it up.

I was hoping to use a newly-purchased Seasonic S12-430 in the system, but I have a couple of problems with my unit:

1. There are 19, not 20, wires running from the PSU to the 20-pin ATX connector. I've highlighted the socket into which the 'missing' pin would fit:

Is this the case for other S12-430 owners?

2. The 4-pin 12V connector's plastic prongs seem the wrong shape for my motherboard, which is the AOpen i915GMm-HFS as pictured above. Some of the polygonal prongs on the connector are oriented incorrectly for the board, or vice versa.

Can anyone throw any light on either of these issues? Is the 19-pin connector normal for the S12-430, and is it my motherboard or the PSU which has the non-standard 12V connector? Do you think I should RMA my unit for a replacement? Thanks very much in advance.

Sam

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:46 am

The missing pin is for -5V, which is no longer used.

Sounds like you are confusing the 2x12V 4-pin plug with the extra 4-pin extension to change the 20-pin main connector into 24-pins.

Sam Williams

Post by Sam Williams » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:57 am

The missing pin is for -5V, which is no longer used.
Aha! Thanks for that - the veil of ignorance is (partially) lifted.
Sounds like you are confusing the 2x12V 4-pin plug with the extra 4-pin extension to change the 20-pin main connector into 24-pins.
Exactly right, Mike... To be honest, I hadn't even noticed the 'other' 4-pin connector sprouting from the PSU.

My S12-430 is now installed and running very, very quietly. Thanks!