I think my S12-500HT just blew - system damage??

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

ct991

I think my S12-500HT just blew - system damage??

Post by ct991 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:06 pm

I was setting up my new silent system (A64 3500), which has had more problems than any other computer I have ever built, I was installing a small app in windows when the screen went black. I thought it had rebooted, but on closer inspection nothing was powered. I tried the power button to turn it on and it came on for about 2 seconds and then clunk...dead!

I unplugged it and left it for a while and tried powering it up again...nothing. I tried without the motherboard (connect PS_ON pin 4 on ATX connector to GND) and there was no life.

What I'd really like to know is if my other hardware is OK. I just spent $1700 on this system and if the power supply took anything else with it when it died then there will be hell to pay!

Has this happened to anyone else with any of their power supplies (not just Seasonic)? What are the chances that something else may have been damaged??

Badger

Post by Badger » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:53 pm

I've blown a PSU or two in my time (okay, only one in my time) and was scared to death it took the rest of the ship down with it. It was the Antec PSU that comes with 3700BQE and was just ready to explode after all the modifications I made to it.

But in the end all of my other hardware was fine. My guess would be that most modern and quality PSU's like Seasonic and Antec will sacrifice themselves before the rest of the computer. I'm going to take a stab at it and say the rest of your system is okay.

However, the other day while playing FarCry my computer just went dead, kinda like how you described. I let it sit to cool, and when I went back to turn it on, the CPU fan would kinda kick about half a centimeter and never get going, and nothing would turn on. I thought I had blown my Seasonic up, only a couple weeks after voiding the warranty by swapping the fan. But I switched out the video card (xFx 6800) and put in my extra (glad I didnt sell it yet) 9600Pro and the system booted up fine. So I guess it was the video card - I RMA'd it and a new one should be here early this week, then I'll know for sure.

datapappan

Post by datapappan » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:09 pm

My story:

After several modding sprees, my PC would not start. No clue. tried hot-wiring the PSU, as per above, WHILST CONNECTED TO THE MB! Good idea? Anyways, didn't do the trick. Realized I'd put back the CMOS clear jumper on the wrong pins - after putting it back right it started OK.

Then starts strange behavior, PC won't hot restart, have to unplug the PSU for 15 mins, then everything OK. Behavior stil there though, until finally I went barebone, i.e. no case, to examine the stuff. Now I hear suspicios whining from the PSU, and declare it dead.

Buys a new PSU, everything is back to order. Has been working a month now.

Bottom line, HW can take a lot of beating sometimes, probably no cause for alarm. Post back w results w new PSU.

/ datapappan

ct991

Post by ct991 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:05 pm

Well I exchanged the power supply and the RAM (just in case) and I'm running tests to make sure all is well. I think I'll stress-test it for a few days as well as running numerous diagnostics on various devices.

ct991

Post by ct991 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:13 pm

Well I've been running Prime95 for a while (13 hrs straight overnight and 3-4 hrs at other times) and I haven't had any problems yet. Knock on wood.