Powersupply for a DFI/AMD64 3700+ System

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

no_nonsense4857

Powersupply for a DFI/AMD64 3700+ System

Post by no_nonsense4857 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:59 am

Hi everybody,

My first post..... so to keep my intro smart and short, I am a SAP Consultant, live in India (Bangalore) and am a gamer and technofreak :).

I am planning to buy a DFI Lanparty nForce4 UltraD mobo and a AMD64 3700+ processor.

I have two choices regarding the PC Enclosures:
First being the Antec P180 and the second being Lian Li PC-V1000.

I have a 'second' choice because it depends whether I would be able to get my hands on a P180 in Bangkok, Thailand.

I plan to buy the DFI the processor and the enclosure from here since you do not get them in India and I have a friend who would be getting it for me on his return to India next week.

Thanks to ultraboy, he helped me out with some addresses where my friend could go fishing for the above.

My doubt is that after checking out many reviews for both the P180 and Lian Li, I observed that many of the power supplys did not have power chord long enough to reach the mobo's socket (especially in the Lian Li reviews).

Also, I checked out the 'recommended' link in this website and decided to settle in for a 300W power supply.

My planned configuration is:

AMD64 3700+ (San Diego Core with 1MB L2 cache, E4/E6 stepping)
DFI Lanparty nForce4 Ultra D
Corsair 2048 3500LL Pro (3-2-3-6 timings) [2GB dual channel kit]
Seagate 7200.9 series (250 Gb HDDs) [ Two numbers ]

Antec P180 / Lian Li PC-V1000.........

Can you please recommend a power supply (my only limitation being its availability in Bangkok). Also, it would be great if some body could tell me where to find the Antec P180 in Bangkok.
Last edited by no_nonsense4857 on Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

qualia

Post by qualia » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:17 am

If you have a look at DFI-oriented forum: http://www.dfi-street.com you'll quickly discover that they strongly recommend much more beefier PSU for this board/CPU, namely 480Watt. Considering that overkill since individual power draw will always be different depending on your configuration (gpu(s)/no of hdds), myself I'm using 420W TopowerP6 series and I'm quite happy with it, also noise-wise, though I can't really say it's completelly silent.

Look around at what's available at your stores and you'll find something that has good recommendations for sure.

no_nonsense4857

Post by no_nonsense4857 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:38 am

No problem man. I have roughly 70 dollars (Rs 3500) for the power supply, and I would buy anything that you ppl would recommend for that budget.

The noise is not a major factor here. Total silence is not my priority, but given the enclosure I may buy I just want a powersupply which is befitting for an enclosure like the P180 or V1000.

no_nonsense4857

Post by no_nonsense4857 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:27 am

As qualia put it, I checked out the dfistreet link and found the mention of '24 pin native' power supply.

Can any body tell me what it is? (Sorry for the double post).

qualia

Post by qualia » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:25 am

24-pin power cable (the one that you connect to motherboard) is one of ATX2.0 PSU requirements. 'Native' because for each 20-pin (old standard) you can buy a 20-to-24 pin converter, which would make it 'not native'. I did not really think that it would not run on 20-pin with a converter, but I had the opportunity to replace my PSU so I had taken the advice and gone 'native' myself. (DFI NF4-Ultra/Venice 3000+).

Why would you want to buy 3700+ version? It's a lot more expensive than 3000/3200 and given that you're buying enthusiast-geared motherboard overclocking would easily bring you to 3700+.

hightower

Post by hightower » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:16 pm

qualia: wrong. 3700+ have 1 mb cache while the 3000/3200+ got 512k...

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:22 pm

@ no_nonsense4857

Just to comment on availability in Bangkok of parts that you're looking for:

P180, as mention in PM, Antec is not available here. :cry:

Everything else should be ok except 3700+ which I'm not so sure. Corsair RAM may be a bit difficult to find as their marketing/distribution is not as good and just woke up lately. If you want aggressive timing RAM, you can get Geil at one of the shop I told you. Plenty of Kingston and cheaper clone here. :)

PSU - only one from SPCR's recommended list available in BKK is Enermax. :cry:

You didn't mention anything on HSF or VGA so I assume you've already got it. Anyway, Tt and CoolerMaster are widely available while Zalman and Thermalright are a bit of specialty products but available at both shops I told you. :) No Scythe here. :cry:

no_nonsense4857

Post by no_nonsense4857 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:01 pm

Hi all,

Thank you very much :) for the advice,

Now I am sure I will be buying

DFI Lanparty nForce4 Ultra D
Lian Li PC-V1000

I was just pondering over which power supply to buy and you ppl did give me the answer. The 'Enermax' as ultraboy suggested.

These product coding changes from place to place. So, I just wanted one favour, just give me the product code for the Enermax 24pin Native Power Supply that can feed this DFI / AMD64 3700+ puppy :)

As rightly suggested by qualia I would be buying a 24 pin native power supply, but 480W is an over kill taking into consideration that its not a SLI config, hence I'll settle in for something in the 380 - 400W range (if at all such a range exists).

Over all, my primary priority now is not noise or quietness but relaiability given that I stay in India and cannot send back the power supply in case I have problems (touch wood :) ).

All of the powersupplies under the 'recommended' section are classified as 'retired' .

So could you please suggest me a power supply and help me out finalize my system.

*edit after going through the review of Enermax NoiseTaker 475 PSU*

ultraboy I am just praying for an yes from you regarding its availability in the shops you mentioned :D

Just one observation, I see a mention of cables being shorter than the other models. Given that I am buying a Lian Li, can anybody tell me that the length on this model is fine for it?

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:14 pm

Seasonic S12 430w seems to be the perfect supply for that. Quiet, more htan enoug hpwoer, 24 pin.

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:04 am

no_nonsense4857 wrote:...I am just praying for an yes from you regarding its availability in the shops you mentioned :D

Just one observation, I see a mention of cables being shorter than the other models. Given that I am buying a Lian Li, can anybody tell me that the length on this model is fine for it?
I must say I havn't look at PSU market here for quite a long time. But yes :) both shops sell Enermax, and yes :) I've seen the Noisetaker line before (with native 20+4 pin). If none of them have the Noisetaker that you want, just ask them where to get one or look around in Pantip Plaza - your friend should be able to find one.

If your friend can buy all things in one shop, just ask them to try out the PSU cable whether it reaches your MB - or search in SPCR forum on the V1000 - there're many threads about this case.

BTW, just a caution note, Thailand uses 220/240 AC so most of PSU switch will be set for that. I don't know about India so make sure to set the switch correctly before it goes kaboom. :wink:

indotoonster

Post by indotoonster » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:50 pm

Hi there,

I recently purchased a DFI Lanparty NF4 UltraD motherboard as well, and had the intention of powering it with an FSP Zen fanless PSU -- however, I've had no luck, as it will simply not POST (see my thread here). The irony is, as I type this, the motherboard is happily working using an old FSP300-60PNA(PF) PSU... which isn't even ATX2.xx compliant (which the Zen is). Go figure...

Cheers,
indotoonster

no_nonsense4857

Post by no_nonsense4857 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:32 am

Hi everybody,

Just wanted to thank you all Ultraboy in particular.

@ Ultraboy - Sorry to say that I could not get my hands on anything in Thailand :(

But, I did get my hands on a DFI Lanparty nF4 ultra D in Bangalore itself :D

Also, I placed an order for

AMD64 3700+
OCZ Gold 1GB ( 2*512 MB )
eVGA 7800 GT ( 256 MB )
Thermaltake Big Typhoon Cooler
Arctic Silver 5

from newegg.com ( totalling to 776 USD including shipping to Florida ).

What a pity that I sit staring at the DFI every day since I will be gettin my package on the 1st of Jan only :(

Reality dawned on me and I decided that the powersupply ought to be bought locally given the warranty suff etc.

So,
Settled in for the Antec Performance TX 1088AMG [ it comes with the antec truepower 2.0 480 watt power supply ]

Any comments on the above. Would like to know in case anybody ownes one :)

qualia

Post by qualia » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:23 am

"qualia: wrong. 3700+ have 1 mb cache while the 3000/3200+ got 512k..."

I didn't say that overclocking will give him more cache. I was merely stating that in my opinion it's much more cost-effective to buy cheaper venice, like 3000+ and overclock it so that it yields similar performance as 3700+/1MB cache. With his mobo it should be easy enough to do. Mine venice 3000+ runs with exact cooling/mobo that he had ordered (Big Typhoon) at 2550Mhz and quiet enough.

Guy will be happy with that config one way or the other.

no_nonsense4857

Post by no_nonsense4857 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:49 pm

The reason I chose a 3700+ is because

a> It is San Diego Core
b> E4 Stepping
c> 1 MB cache

In the same order of preference. N neways, the RAM I've ordered will not give me a lot of head room for good overclocking (though its a BH5 chip and likes to be fed with lot of voltage which my mobo can and will do :D )

N guys, any comments on my previous post?? Sort of getting off topic dont you think :wink: