Strange noise from a Phantom 350

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Slaugh

Strange noise from a Phantom 350

Post by Slaugh » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:16 am

Hi there!

I recently started to notice a faint hissing noise that comes from my Antec Phantom 350. This one is installed outside my case where there is more airflow. I get a really faint noise while loading some games, but not when playing them. For example, when I start SWAT 4, that noise is present while the game is loading in memory. Once the game is loaded, the noise is gone. I get sometimes the same noise when I scroll on some webpages that use heavy flash animations (THG or gamespot for example). The sound is barely audible, but it's the only thing I can hear right now when my speakers are unplugged.

It seems to happen when the vCore hits 1.5V for some times. The CPU is an Athlon 64 3400+ (Newcastle) and the video card is a Radeon X800XT PE, both running on an Asus K8N-E deluxe, and watercooled by a Reserator. My CPU and GPU temperatures are fine...

Does it mean that the PSU is having a hard time, or it's a normal behavior of the Phantom? Is this coming from a coil?

So far, this system is dead stable... Here are my current voltages. They are about the same at full load:

scaryduck

Post by scaryduck » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:55 am

My 350 exhibited this hissing noise too in my 2.8 Northwood + 6600GT system.

Normal behaviour as far as I'm aware. It's caused not because your system is straining the 350, but rather because of complex interactions between your components and the 350. I've not noticed whether the hissing I heard was related to load.