Antec Phantom 500 or Seasonic S12 500W

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

djnotepad

Antec Phantom 500 or Seasonic S12 500W

Post by djnotepad » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:09 pm

Considering there is a price difference, I was wondering what some recommend. My main question though is, as i've been reading around, it seems like there are some options to ramp up the speed of the seasonic s12 fan, or have it automatically controlled? How would you go about doing this? Currently I have an OCZ Powerstream and I don't really know how to do it with this PSU.

If this is the case, I wouldn't mind ramping the S12 down to an inaudible level and have it ramp up when I game and such. Also I wouldn't mind having the S12 too because it seems asthough the Phantom has a blue cathode light, which i really don't want, but I could live with if I could disconnect it somehow. But I also wouldn't mind have the Phantom too if it is really silent, and I don't think there will be much heat with these components

P180
AMD 3700+ w/ Scythe Ninja Nexus cooled
Probably Nexus exahust, but right now using the P180 tri cool
XFX 7800GT

much appreciated for the advice guys

EricTerminator

Post by EricTerminator » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:35 pm

Hi djnotepad !

I recommand the Seasonic S12 500W (not the 430W, which is not a real S12...). It has the best efficiency in the world, and is the most silent actively-cooled PSU. Here's test in French : http://www.matbe.com/articles/lire/260/ ... page52.php

Its consumption ("consommation") and noise disturbances ("nuisances sonores") are simply impressive, and it's more silent in burn than the semi-passive cooled Antec Phantom 500W.

See you

Krazy Kommando

Post by Krazy Kommando » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:03 pm

go the phantom. its fan shouldnt even need to turn on if you have decent case airflow

Vulcan

Re: Antec Phantom 500 or Seasonic S12 500W

Post by Vulcan » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:38 am

djnotepad wrote:Considering there is a price difference, I was wondering what some recommend. My main question though is, as i've been reading around, it seems like there are some options to ramp up the speed of the seasonic s12 fan, or have it automatically controlled? How would you go about doing this? Currently I have an OCZ Powerstream and I don't really know how to do it with this PSU.

If this is the case, I wouldn't mind ramping the S12 down to an inaudible level and have it ramp up when I game and such. Also I wouldn't mind having the S12 too because it seems asthough the Phantom has a blue cathode light, which i really don't want, but I could live with if I could disconnect it somehow. But I also wouldn't mind have the Phantom too if it is really silent, and I don't think there will be much heat with these components

P180
XFX 7800GT

Seeing that your going to be using case fans, I don't see any reason to go for a (pseudo)-fanless power supply. My S12-600 is essentialy silent running with all other fans turned off, it won't be any louder than your case fans for sure. BTW, the S12s fan is automaticaly controleld based on temp/load, you can't contro lthe fan manualy.

djnotepad

Post by djnotepad » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:53 am

Vulcan wrote:
djnotepad wrote:Considering there is a price difference, I was wondering what some recommend. My main question though is, as i've been reading around, it seems like there are some options to ramp up the speed of the seasonic s12 fan, or have it automatically controlled? How would you go about doing this? Currently I have an OCZ Powerstream and I don't really know how to do it with this PSU.

P180
XFX 7800GT

Seeing that your going to be using case fans, I don't see any reason to go for a (pseudo)-fanless power supply. My S12-600 is essentialy silent running with all other fans turned off, it won't be any louder than your case fans for sure. BTW, the S12s fan is automaticaly controleld based on temp/load, you can't contro lthe fan manualy.
cool, thats kinda what i was looking for. I am getting the s12-500 probably but i'm assuming its the same technology. How well would you rate the temp/load control? I know for the AMD stock heatsink I had a while back it was not very good with the threshold, making it stutter and stop all the time which I am assuming is bad for the fan

Derek Baker

Post by Derek Baker » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:57 am

EricTerminator wrote:I recommand the Seasonic S12 500W (not the 430W, which is not a real S12...).
How is the 430 not a real S12?

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:38 pm

djnotepad wrote:
Vulcan wrote:

P180
XFX 7800GT

cool, thats kinda what i was looking for. I am getting the s12-500 probably but i'm assuming its the same technology. How well would you rate the temp/load control? I know for the AMD stock heatsink I had a while back it was not very good with the threshold, making it stutter and stop all the time which I am assuming is bad for the fan
Take a look at the review that was done here at SPCR, it gives plenty of data for various loads.

Dirty-Harry

Post by Dirty-Harry » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:44 pm

Derek Baker wrote:
EricTerminator wrote:I recommand the Seasonic S12 500W (not the 430W, which is not a real S12...).
YES... PLEASE EXPLAIN!! :?

Webmonkey

Post by Webmonkey » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:17 pm

Dirty-Harry wrote:
Derek Baker wrote:
YES... PLEASE EXPLAIN!! :?
Yes please do so - I would like to know too - I am also considerign the 430W - it is supposed to be slightly quieter than the 500/600W versions, right???
(even with the new fan...)

thetoad30
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by thetoad30 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:28 pm

If you re-read the 430 review, it was not much quieter than the 500/600W versions (1dB less I believe). Also, the 430 is an updated design of the Super Tornado I believe, and the 500/600W versions are based on an entirely different circuit design as they integrated the PCI-E power cords.

Webmonkey

Post by Webmonkey » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:56 am

thetoad30 wrote:If you re-read the 430 review, it was not much quieter than the 500/600W versions (1dB less I believe). Also, the 430 is an updated design of the Super Tornado I believe, and the 500/600W versions are based on an entirely different circuit design as they integrated the PCI-E power cords.
I did read that. I was thinking of getting this 430W version because of it being the most quiet. 1dB is hardly heard...

Now I just wonder if I should look into the S12-500 or the Antec Phantom 500 + P180 case :roll:

MikeRocker

Post by MikeRocker » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:32 am

Webmonkey wrote:Now I just wonder if I should look into the S12-500 or the Antec Phantom 500 + P180 case :roll:
I'm in the same boat, I've got the P180 and an Asus A8V Deluxe. Is it just a matter of personal preference, or is one notably better than the other? I'm going to use the computer mostly for recording music.

I'm new to building PCs, thanks for any guidance!

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:03 pm

if you have large air volume moving INTO the case, a 430 s12 is fantastic.

if you have very limited positive pressure and lots of stuff blowing out, a phantom 500 is best.

Marc

Post by Marc » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:44 am

Webmonkey wrote:Now I just wonder if I should look into the S12-500 or the Antec Phantom 500 + P180 case :roll:
Well, I went with the Phantom 500 and the P180 (the P180 just arrived last night and the Phantom 500 is "in transit"). I was concerned that the PS wouldn't fit...till I:

a). Talked to Roscoe at Antec who claims that it will fit. And,

b). Found this picture over on hardocp.com that visually proves it can be done.

Keep your fingers crossed...

Locklear

Post by Locklear » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:05 pm

no worries. the phantom is no problem as long as you manage to tidy the cables coming out of it a bit.

have a looksie here
(Sorry about the rotten picture quality)

A bit more comfortable clearing to the fan blades can be gotten by removing the fan bracket and just hardmounting it like i have done in this picture.

Medicated

Phantom rocks

Post by Medicated » Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:28 am

The combination of an Antec P180 case and an Antec Phantom 350 has been flawless for me over the past 5 months or so. I would highly recommend the Phantom series power suppy. I am sure the Seasonic is a great PS as well; you should be fine either way.

Also, you noted in your original post that you may change the case fans to Nexus. The Antec Tri-cools that came with my P180 were actually better than the two Nexus fans I bought (and subsequently returned) to replace them. The Nexus fans were exactly as loud and the Antecs but they made a clicking sound.