Antec Phantom 500 shorting out

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

banke333

Antec Phantom 500 shorting out

Post by banke333 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:38 pm

I don't know if anyone else has run into this, but last night when I was using my comp (It's a P180 with a Phantom 500) I kept hearing a buzzing noise coming from inside my case. I pulled off the side panel and started looking around to see where the noise was coming from. I pulled on one of the 5V connectors (it wasn't plugged into anything) to move it out of the way when I saw a large blue spark from the 5V connector to the case. My comp shut down right away, and luckily nothing looks broken but I think this has happened before (my comp has shutdown previously when I moved it and I remember hearing a pop noise when it did). I have it shutdown for now until I can figure out what to do.

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could buy plastic covers for my 5V connectors (same concept as the plastic plugs you put into wall sockets so small kids dont stick objects into them), or if anyone else had a better idea on what to do.

Poisonsnak

Post by Poisonsnak » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:11 pm

What do you mean by 5V connector? I can't think of any PSU connectors with only 5V on them, perhaps you are referring to HDD connectors or floppy connectors? For HDD power connectors I would just take some old broken fans with the "pass through" style power connector and rip the metal parts out of it and plug that onto your PSU's connector.

Also I wouldn't worry about the shorting out too much if it's just touching the case, PSUs have overload protection so the PSU will be fine, just watch out if it hits the motherboard or starts a fire or something.

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:48 pm

I don't know what connector you're referring to, and I don't know how any connector from the power supply would short with the case unless you'd modified or damaged it somehow, but I do know that a little bit of electrical tape will almost certainly solve your problem.

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:56 pm

I feel abit weay about my Phantom 500 aswell. I time when I hade connected it to unearthed Ac power I got an electric shock when I got near the case.

It just happened once. No idea what had happened really... Hmm maybe something similar to you with a molex to the case or something.. hmm... :roll:

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:58 pm

It's something eerie about my Phantom 500 aswell. One time when I hade connected it to unearthed Ac power I got an electric shock when I got near the case.

It just happened that time. No idea what had happened really... Hmm maybe something similar to you with a molex to the case or something.. hmm... :roll:

Infidel

Post by Infidel » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:14 pm

Have you verified that the wall outlet is properly grounded? Also check your power strip or battery backup to make sure it is grounded correctly. I've lived in a few homes, even new ones, where the ground wasn't installed properly.