Anyone know how to make a 24 to 20 pin adapter?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Badger

Anyone know how to make a 24 to 20 pin adapter?

Post by Badger » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:58 am

So... I was hoping to suprise the family by putting their old computer in a quiet case for Christmas. But as luck would have it the PSU is 24 pin and their mobo is 20 pin. I ordered a 24-20 pin adapter on the 21st and if it was shipped priority mail it should be here today, but it doesn't look like it got here...

So now I'm kinda screwed unless I can get something working. I have an old 20 pin PSU I could splice to, like plug in wire ends into the 24 pin PSU. It doesnt have to be permanent, just a temporary fix.

Thanks guys.

Badger

Post by Badger » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:57 am

Nevermind, nevermind!

Whew... so I was googling around for "make a 24 to 20 pin adatper" and I came across some other guys on another forum talking about the adapters and how most 24 pin PSU have a part that "break away" from the other 20 pins, thus making it a 20 pin PSU, too. So... I looked to see if my PSU could do that too, and what do you know, it can!

Here, I'll give a quick run down of what I was planning to do: My parents have a really old and loud (think grinding fans) HP computer. I bought an Antec SLK-1650B and a black floppy and black cd-rw drive. Tonight, really late, or probably early tommorow morning I'm going to sneak the innards of the old HP into the new case. I've tested the PSU with a paperclip so I know it's quiet, and I'm going to run a Thermaltake SilentBoost with modified Antec 80mm fan on it at 5 volts over the old 466mhz Celeron, socket 370. The exhaust will be an Antec 120mm at 5v. The loudest part should be their old 5400 rpm hard drive.

I've searched for the case on here and it didnt seem like some people were happy with it. I like it, it's pretty decent and the power supply it comes with is pretty quiet. I've only heard it with the one fan spinning, but it's comparable to a Nexus 120mm at 900-1000 rpm.

qviri

Post by qviri » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:22 am

With only a Celeron 466, and probably no graphics card or an ancient one anyway, you probably do not even need the case fan at all.

Of course, these old drives can get noisy, so when five-volted it'll probably be below the overall noise floor anyway... but test to see if it's any quieter with it off, though.

Nice idea BTW :)

dddibley

Post by dddibley » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:46 am

Computers for Christmas. Great idea. I just put together a PIII-667/133 from spare parts for a very needy family member (with AT, K6-2 350). The 1650B will be perfect for the 370 board. Nice PSU too. Almost bought one for myself except a full size 12x9.6 would be a pretty tight fit.

Hope the transplant goes OK. (check those standoffs).. and thank God for 20+4 :)

Merry Christmas !!

ddd

Badger

Post by Badger » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:57 am

haha thanks guys. They'll love it, but it's kind of one of those gifts that they're not going to fully appreciate until they have to use someone else's loud computer.

I'm excited for waking up early (I'm shooting for 2:30-3 a.m.) and doing the transplant - I have to be as covert as possible. Not a sound...