SilenX 600w 14 dBA iXtrema PRO PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

zoolar

SilenX 600w 14 dBA iXtrema PRO PSU

Post by zoolar » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:39 am

what about this one? if the 14db is true and it delivers what it promises it blows everything else away! i'd like to see it tested. :P

one shop said it to be sensitive to interference by for example overclocking :?:

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:51 am

Its not just marketing nonsense, its malicious lying bullshit.

You dont have to look very far around here to realise that "SilenX" is a company that no-one likes, let alone trusts.

Give yourself a laugh and search the forums.

Then have a look at the recommended list(s), and reviews of power supplies.

Andy

Oklahoma Wolf

Post by Oklahoma Wolf » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:08 pm

In all likelihood, it's a fan modded Fortron FSP550-60PLG with a fancy black case and higher price tag. That, or a custom job by Fortron based on the 550W just for SilenX. Not only do I doubt the dB claim for it, I also have misgivings the fan will cool this unit too well.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:35 am

It will be reviewed, in due time.

Bar81

Post by Bar81 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:43 am

I had one before going fanless. It's a good PSU. It's not 14dba at any typical distance but no PSU is 14dba outside of a fanless which is usually, absent coil hum, etc 0dba. There's a lot of teen angst towards SilenX on these boards but they do produce good PSUs. I was disappointed with the fan noise level but aesthetically and performance wise it was nice. Definitely the quietest 600W+ I've used.

As to the cooling, the fan is more than up to the task. As to overclocking, that's also misinformation, I was ocing like a madman with the thing and it did its job.

And yes, it is a Fortron manufactured unit iirc.