[CeBIT 06] Dedicated PSUs from Arctic-Cooling, the M1 and V1

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

[CeBIT 06] Dedicated PSUs from Arctic-Cooling, the M1 and V1

Post by rpsgc » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:34 am

Arctic-Cooling has joined in on the whole "let's create a dedicated PSU" thing and unveiled at CeBIT two models. Both will be placed in 5.25" bays.

The Fusion Supporter V1 for the VGA

It connects to the 24pin ATX connector and has two PCI-E connectors.

---------

The Fusion Supporter M1 for the CPU (yes, CPU)

It also connects to the ATX cable and has a 4pin power cable to the motherboard.
Last edited by rpsgc on Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:39 am

Why does it have so many capacitors????? Any electrical engineering types can tell us? I'm assuming because the PSU has to deliver instantaneous load when the VGA card ramps up it has to store a lot of power?

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:42 am

The last one is for the CPU. I don't know if the VGA PSU has that many capacitors.

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:01 am

Maybe because they couldn't fit a couple huge capacitors...? *shrug*

Seeing as how they look fanless as far as I can tell, I can see people incorporating these I suppose.

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:07 am

jaganath wrote:Why does it have so many capacitors????? Any electrical engineering types can tell us? I'm assuming because the PSU has to deliver instantaneous load when the VGA card ramps up it has to store a lot of power?
Capacitors store energy. This means that the effective peak power rating of your PSU will be increased, although the sustained load rating will remain the same. This isn't really a power supply as such, but an energy storage device.

Multiple small capacitors, apart from being easier to fit in small spaces than a single huge capacitor, tend to offer lower equivalent series resistance, which means higher peak current. They may also be slightly cheaper.

If you ask me, this whole secondary PSU think is just a stupid marketing gimmick.
Last edited by Mr Evil on Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

TomZ

Post by TomZ » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:21 am

Mr Evil wrote:If you ask me, this whole secondary PSU think is just a stupid marketing gimmick.
I agree - instead of wasting money on these "patch" power supplies, just upgrade to a good quality, higher-wattage supply. Simple and cost-effective.

Also, I assume those Artic units are prototypes. Their enclosures look too expensive (due to required machining) for high-volume and/or low-cost.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:10 am

Mr Evil wrote:
jaganath wrote:Why does it have so many capacitors????? Any electrical engineering types can tell us? I'm assuming because the PSU has to deliver instantaneous load when the VGA card ramps up it has to store a lot of power?
Capacitors store energy. This means that the effective peak power rating of your PSU will be increased, although the sustained load rating will remain the same. This isn't really a power supply as such, but an energy storage device.

Multiple small capacitors, apart from being easier to fit in small spaces than a single huge capacitor, tend to offer lower equivalent series resistance, which means higher peak current. They may also be slightly cheaper.
I still think they'd be better off using a single capacitor*, specifically the "flux capacitor", but that would probably wind up sending the computer through time.

*It's a joke, I don't know anything about electronics. Not interested in getting into the capacitor debate.

TomZ

Post by TomZ » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:33 am

Shadowknight wrote:I still think they'd be better off using a single capacitor*, specifically the "flux capacitor"
If they used a flux capacitor, they might have to get a license from this patent holder: :lol:
edited for shorter URL by friendly mod

SnooP

Post by SnooP » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:27 pm

no heatsinks, so its not a proper psu, more a conditioner of some sought perhaps? Still seems very niche, just get a new psu.