Sharkoon power supplies?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

moritz

Sharkoon power supplies?

Post by moritz » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:03 am

Anybody have any experience with the Sharkoon SilentStorm series of PSUs? Unfortunately the store I'm thinking about buying at doesn't have any decent PSUs. Sharkoon's a rebrander, so maybe somebody knows this under another name?

This is what I had in mind: http://www.mix-computer.de/mix/shop/pro ... tNo=TN3S07&

Thanks for any investigative aid. ;)

allenlux

Post by allenlux » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:59 pm

It's a different model, but I recently bought a Sharkoon SHA350-8P (http://www.sharkoon.com/enghtml/powersupply.htm#sha350) and used it to replace the non-working NeoHE 430 in a P150 build.

Good points of the Sharkoon were:
- heavy, solid feel, nice dark grey colour
- price (35 euros)
- quiet (by my standards, very quiet)
- it works (unlike the NeoHE)

I went back to the shop and bought another one to keep in stock.

Sharkoon may not be a prestige brand for PSUs, but this one at least seems a safe purchase.

moritz

Post by moritz » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:34 am

Thanks! They have that one too, and it's far cheaper (35 euros, same as your price)... so the one I had in mind should be better, right...? Right? Right. Or maybe I'll just get the cheap one, might as well save money when I'm not getting the real thing.

Actually, here's a followup question: Where is the intake of the SHA350? On the back or on the bottom of the PSU? I'd love to have a straight airflow PSU, because I already have sort of an intake duct set up for that.

allenlux

Post by allenlux » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:30 pm

moritz wrote:Actually, here's a followup question: Where is the intake of the SHA350? On the back or on the bottom of the PSU? I'd love to have a straight airflow PSU, because I already have sort of an intake duct set up for that.
The back of the PSU is mostly grill. There is also a smaller rectangular grill on the bottom of the PSU, about 115mm x 25mm.

moritz

Post by moritz » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:11 pm

That sounds nice. You might just have saved me 30 euros! ;)