PCU quieter than most top of the line for $10 to $40

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

opopopo

PCU quieter than most top of the line for $10 to $40

Post by opopopo » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:19 am

For $40 you can have a brand new PSU at least as quiet, more likely quieter than the highest priced units. I bought a new FSP Group Inc, Model FSP300-60THN for about $32. There’s a tiny 1 inch x ¼ inch sticker with; “W/ NOISE KILLER,â€

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:52 am

Here's a Fortron PSU that sounds like what you have.....it's a micro-ATX that comes with an adaptor to fit std openings. It has a fairly quiet thin 80mm fan that starts up less than 4V, and rarely ramps up.

Link

larrymoencurly

Post by larrymoencurly » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:33 am

The words "Noise Killer" have to be on the PSU itself because Fortron-Source has sold PSUs where "Noise Killer" was printed only on the retail box, and there was no fan controller inside the PSU itself and the fan ran at full speed all the time.

AFAIK, the fan controller of any 80mm Fortron-Source PSU is a small circuit board attached to one of the big heatsinks and is visible through the top grill openings.

opopopo

Post by opopopo » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:01 am

That's what I'm talking about and very similar to mine with the fan inside. It should be very quiet as is but if you want more upgrade the fan for super quiet. Normally I always buy Newegg but back in December 05 casedepot.ispot.net was the only listing on GOOGLE my model # and I heard good things about it. As it turns out they are all pretty much the same. That one should do you well.