Noise level of Seasonics at higher loads?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Post Reply
EsaT
Posts: 473
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:53 am
Location: 61.6° N, 29.5° E - Finland

Noise level of Seasonics at higher loads?

Post by EsaT » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:07 am

Now when these new Seasonic models are coming available I was wondering how Seasonics have performed at higher than idle loads?

OCZ GameXstream (/FSP Epsilon) I'm now looking as primary option is apparently quite silent up to near 50% loads so I'm wondering how these Seasonic's similarly rated models behave at those loads.


While OCZ has enough connectors for what I think I'll need ability to have little more SATA connectors might become handy when more optical drives change to SATA-models. Also Molexes will be barely enough already at start. (but need for those would decrease when optical drives change to SATA)
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
-George Bernard Shaw

merlin
Friend of SPCR
Posts: 717
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:48 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: Noise level of Seasonics at higher loads?

Post by merlin » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:29 pm

EsaT wrote:Now when these new Seasonic models are coming available I was wondering how Seasonics have performed at higher than idle loads?

OCZ GameXstream (/FSP Epsilon) I'm now looking as primary option is apparently quite silent up to near 50% loads so I'm wondering how these Seasonic's similarly rated models behave at those loads.


While OCZ has enough connectors for what I think I'll need ability to have little more SATA connectors might become handy when more optical drives change to SATA-models. Also Molexes will be barely enough already at start. (but need for those would decrease when optical drives change to SATA)
Any reason you're not looking at the reviews that have already been done on seasonic psu's here?
Quiet Wuv Wizzie
Main: I5-3570K at 3.7ghz, 16GB DDR-1600@1.35v, Asrock Z77 Extreme6, Corsair 330R, Seasonic 760XP2, Sapphire Radeon 7950| Secondary/Lan: Core i3-2100, 4GB, Msi H67MA-E35, Radeon 6790, Sugo SG02| HTPC: Core i3-2100, 4GB, AsRock H67M-ITX/HT, Antec ISK300-65| NAS: Core I3-2100, 8GB, Antec TP-550, Lian Li PC-Q08B, 4X2TB WD Green| Lappy: Latitude D620 Core 2 T7600, Quadro NVS 110M

EsaT
Posts: 473
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:53 am
Location: 61.6° N, 29.5° E - Finland

Post by EsaT » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:39 pm

Have you seen much reviews of these new Seasonics?
(which happen to be available in Europe)
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
-George Bernard Shaw

merlin
Friend of SPCR
Posts: 717
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:48 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Post by merlin » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:00 pm

EsaT wrote:Have you seen much reviews of these new Seasonics?
(which happen to be available in Europe)
Ah it wasn't clear that you were talking about the new ones that aren't out in the US yet. It sounded like you were asking about Seasonics in general. It would be expected that they will be comparable to the old ones, but the only way we'll get confirmation is when a good review is out.
Quiet Wuv Wizzie
Main: I5-3570K at 3.7ghz, 16GB DDR-1600@1.35v, Asrock Z77 Extreme6, Corsair 330R, Seasonic 760XP2, Sapphire Radeon 7950| Secondary/Lan: Core i3-2100, 4GB, Msi H67MA-E35, Radeon 6790, Sugo SG02| HTPC: Core i3-2100, 4GB, AsRock H67M-ITX/HT, Antec ISK300-65| NAS: Core I3-2100, 8GB, Antec TP-550, Lian Li PC-Q08B, 4X2TB WD Green| Lappy: Latitude D620 Core 2 T7600, Quadro NVS 110M

Le_Gritche
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:57 am
Location: France, Lyon

Post by Le_Gritche » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:22 pm

merlin wrote:
EsaT wrote:Have you seen much reviews of these new Seasonics?
(which happen to be available in Europe)
Ah it wasn't clear that you were talking about the new ones that aren't out in the US yet. It sounded like you were asking about Seasonics in general. It would be expected that they will be comparable to the old ones, but the only way we'll get confirmation is when a good review is out.
The one called S12 Energy+, "80Plus" rated, reaching a 88% max efficiency, with 2 models (550W @ 130 € and 650W @ 160 €) ?
According to this short news post the fan will spin slowerly than on other S12, so they *should* be quieter. But no test yet.

McBanjo
Posts: 671
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:40 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by McBanjo » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:42 pm

Consider Seasonics reputation I would assume that it is rather silent.
It most likely beats OCZ

EsaT
Posts: 473
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:53 am
Location: 61.6° N, 29.5° E - Finland

Post by EsaT » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:02 am

Le_Gritche wrote:The one called S12 Energy+, "80Plus" rated, reaching a 88% max efficiency, with 2 models (550W @ 130 € and 650W @ 160 €) ?
According to this short news post the fan will spin slowerly than on other S12, so they *should* be quieter. But no test yet.
Hmm... I wonder are M12 serie models identical.
That secondary fan might cause slight internal changes but I don't think they would make two entirely different PCBs just for that. It would be economically and logistically most feasible to make as few different PCBs as possible.
Cables aren't totally sleeved in new S12 models unlike in OCZ/FSP so I was considering modular version because of that.
Also I have lot of drives and accessories so more available connectors would be good thing and in that modularity would be good because there wouldn't be need to house much extra cable spaghetti when those aren't needed. (like in Tagan Dual Engines which have huge amount of fixed cables/connectors)
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
-George Bernard Shaw

McBanjo
Posts: 671
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:40 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by McBanjo » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:43 am

Except for that second 60mm fan it's basicly the same PSU. How that effect noise level is so far unclear I belive.
The only difference between OEM (80+) and the regular version is shorter cables

Post Reply