Antec Phantom 350 - Temps?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

mo786

Antec Phantom 350 - Temps?

Post by mo786 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:27 pm

Hi

I have had an Antec Phantom 350 fanless PSU for a whiel now.

I have upgraded my set up and most importantly I have gotten rid of 1 fan in my PC - the CPU fan (went for a fanless Ninja) - I now only have a case fan running at very low speeds (a Nexus orange thingy!)

I am now running a Core2Duo E6400, 2gb Ram and a 7300 Geforce graphics card (thisi s passive cooled and gets very hot - but I assume its OK as the manf sells it liek that)

I have noticed my Phantom is now gettign much hotter - hot enough to touch for a few seconds - when I had the CPU cooler in there before (at least generating soem airflow) I could touch it for ages and it was fine..

Question: how hot hot shoudl the Phantom be allowed to get and is it still suitable for my system? (I heard C2D chips were meant to use LESS power)

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:35 am

Question: how hot hot should the Phantom be allowed to get and is it still suitable for my system? (I heard C2D chips were meant to use LESS power)
They do; what I think is happening here is the heat from GPU+CPU is rising up in to the power supply; remember, with a fanless PSU you need to think very carefully how heat will escape from the case; probably one Nexus @ ~500rpm isn't enough (less than 10CFM at that speed).

nicoliani

Post by nicoliani » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:30 am

Try to have your PSU outside your case, that way you won't need any fans to cool it and your case temp will get much lower.

http://img479.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 1163eh.jpg