400w fanless Zen in my Hands....

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

400w fanless Zen in my Hands....

Post by Bluefront » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:28 pm

I'll be installing it tonight. God it's heavy.....if weight still means anything when judging PSUs, this thing is first class. The manual contains almost nothing.....so I guess you're on your own if you have any difficulty. The large aluminum heatsink which covers one side, is vented much better than the photos indicate. Sure hope I don't have any booting problems.....the setup this is going in, uses laptop drive(s). I'll find out shortly. It's a beautiful blue... :D

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Re: 400w fanless Zen in my Hands....

Post by spookmineer » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:57 pm

Bluefront wrote:It's a beautiful blue... :D
...front?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:02 pm

Heh.....booted with no sweat. This system for now uses only one WD laptop drive. It's sitting in a heavily modded Antec 4400 case. There is one 220mm intake fan blowing inward......and no exhaust fans. The one YL visible in the photo turns on about 50C (rarely). Most of the exhaust from the intake fan, exits over the top of the Zen. Since I just got it running, I cannot comment further.....but right now the top heatsink of the Zen measures 33.5C at 24C ambient.

Link to more photos of this setup

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:43 pm

Looks like it's got high efficiency: http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=6276&page=8

Maybe not mindblowing though as this i 220V (UK).

I'm tempted to get one and hope Spcr can review it soon. I hope it has the same good efficiency at lower outputs as the Zen 300W. If so I will probably get one.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:47 pm

I've had a chance to test this setup. It idled overnight at about 24C ambient....the top heatsink measured about 36C. The ambient went up this afternoon to about 27C. After a long period of benchmarking, I measure about 40C on the heatsink. You can see the location of the sensor in this photo.....it's in the lower left corner of the heatsink.

The PSU wires are exactly the right length for this case....just long enough to route out of the airflow. In a normal case, I suppose you would mount this Zen with the heatsink facing down. How that would affect temps remains to be tested by somebody else. This positive pressure case is just perfect for this Zen. I'm happy so far. Absolutely no coil noise either..... :D

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:24 pm

spookmineer wrote:
...front?
I believe it mounts in the back.

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:29 am

Bluefront wrote:Absolutely no coil noise either..... :D

Good stuff Bluefront. I guess you can always trust FSP with quality, the ones I've had have all been good. All my antecs and my new seasonics on the other hand all have some amount of coil noise. My Corsair is freaking loud and will be sent back as rma.

I guess this is my next buy. I'm eagerly awaiting the EU release!
Last edited by Poodle on Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:44 am

OK.....some bad news. I've experienced a no-boot situation two times now. Flipping the PSU switch on/off fixed that problem. I'm going to experiment with more load on the 12V rail......maybe a small light bulb somewhere. This apparently is a common problem with high-efficiency PSUs. More to come....

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:26 pm

Bluefront,

Do you reckon the ATX and P4 cables to be long enough for it to be used in the P180?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:53 am

Well I have never owned a p180.....but from the pictures I'd say probably not. And particularly so if you wanted to route the ATX wires nicely, out of the airflow. Of course a lot depends on the location of the ATX connection on the MB. A location in the upper right corner of the board would be a tight squeeze.

I changed the fan controller on my setup, and the boot problem has not occurred again.....got my fingers crossed. This setup I'm using has a lightly loaded 12V rail. YMMV

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:01 am

Thanks. Too bad... Guess I have to wait for a Spcr review to be sure.

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:00 pm

Felger Carbon wrote:
spookmineer wrote:
...front?
I believe it mounts in the back.
It was a pun... :?