New quiet PSU to replace a NeoHE?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

zcwaa22

New quiet PSU to replace a NeoHE?

Post by zcwaa22 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:03 am

Hi,

I need some help deciding on a new PSU, im currently running (or not ) a Antec NeoHE430W in a P150 case which is refusing to power up an Asus P5WDH, sometimes i hit the power button and it all works, sometimes the system powers up 10secs-10mins later and sometimes not at all. I was told i probably had a dodgy mainboard and so bought a new one but the problem persists.

So... im after a new PSU, i dont want to spend loads of money but id like sometihing quiet- preferably as quiet as the NeoHE 430W (when its on!), im not running high power components, 2gb of ram, e6430, 2sata drives, 1 optical and a single geforce 7600.

Id have thought id only need 400-450W PSU, the Akasa ATX 2.2 Ultra quiet Active PFC 400watts PSU, looks good can anyone vouch for its ultra quietness? or maybe the Akasa Ultra Quiet Active PFC 400W PSU Blue LED , this one is only ATX v2.01, is there much difference between the two?

Ive read good things about seasonic but they all seem twice the price of these akasa's?

Anway i hope someone can help me out, thanks!

And by the way, beware about putting a NeoHE 430W in with an Asus P5W DH, id read that the old NeoHE's are dodgy but this is new stock and the problem hasnt gone away.

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:10 am

RMA it

Or get a Corsair or a Seasonic

zcwaa22

Post by zcwaa22 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:34 am

Hi McBanjo,

Ive emailed dabs.com about RMA'ing it and they cant confirm that they'll test it against a P5W DH, im worried that the PSU will work fine with another mainboard and they'll charge me for the P+P and hassle. Im checking out RMA'ing it straight to Antec but there customer supports pretty slow...

Thanks for the advice on the corsair and the seasonics though

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:29 am

Be Quiet's are pretty quiet too, but if I could choose, I'd go for Seasonic S12-430 (I'm not sure about the new Seasonic S12 II 430W it could be damn good too ) or Corsair 520 W version.

allenlux

Post by allenlux » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:59 pm

zcwaa22 wrote:Hi McBanjo,

Ive emailed dabs.com about RMA'ing it and they cant confirm that they'll test it against a P5W DH, im worried that the PSU will work fine with another mainboard and they'll charge me for the P+P and hassle. Im checking out RMA'ing it straight to Antec but there customer supports pretty slow...

Thanks for the advice on the corsair and the seasonics though
You should persist with getting an RMA from Antec. I had the same problem - NeoHE 430 from a P150 - and after a few messages back and forward to Antec they did give me the RMA.

The replacement - which was a more recent revision of the NeoHE - has worked fine, although I have to say that I'm starting to find it a little noisy after a year or so - I'm not sure if it's me or the PSU.

ivier

Post by ivier » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:07 pm

I've just used a sunny saturday looking for a replacement for the Antec Heo NE 430W that failed to work with my Asus P5B in the proper manner. I'm afraid I can't say I would have managed to find a better one (except that this non-Antec works with my Asus), but a couple of points anyway.

First, I've read that Seasonic might make PSUs for Antec and few others. It doesn't mean Seasonic is ought to have similar problems with you motherboard; even another Antec model might work with your board just fine. But, if a Seasonic psu fails to dance with your board, just don't think odds are against you.

Another thing to note is that you're actually lucky, as you're looking for a psu for P150. I'm using a P180, where the psu is located in a tunnel at the bottom of the case. The tunnel design means it would be optimal to have a psu that takes air from one side and let's it out from the opposite side -- just like most Antec psus do. Now, 90% of the psu's out there take the air in from to bottom and let it out from the back..not exactly optimal in a P180 tunnel design.

theFan

Post by theFan » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:30 am

ivier, im in the same position as you. What did you end up getting?

ivier

Post by ivier » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:53 am

theFan wrote:ivier, im in the same position as you. What did you end up getting?
I chose one from the BeQuiet StraightPower series. It probably isn't the most silent psu on market, the cables are not modular and the airflow goes from bottom to back (unlike what's optimal for P180). The main point for me was it was on stock, and I presumed it's still reasonably quiet. After all the system works now as expected. In my next system I might return back to Antecs, but away from Asus...