Pursue of silent, sufficient and good quality psu

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Pursue of silent, sufficient and good quality psu

Post by thejamppa » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:13 pm

I am looking now PSU that is QUIET ( more quiet than my current Be Quiet! which is also in recomended list ) My system is on signature. I am kinda temped to go on Silverstone ST30NF but its darn expensive. NeoHE 380W seems nice but there has been so much complains on NeoHE's so I don't know if that is safe choice or not. Corsairs VX450W seems nice too.

According monitoring program my PSU's fan is RPM'ing around 940 to 970 RPM's and I've never seen below 900 RPM speeds, even when using it in P182 case. Its pretty quiet but I know I can get even more quiet PC, when my HDD goes in Scythe Quiet Drive, PSU will be the most noisiest part of my Computer.

Edit: Here's bit list of high quality quiet PSU's, criticism is welcome:

Tagan 2force 430W / 480W (has dual 80mm fans in pull push configuration, should be very quiet and high quality )
Antec Neo HE 380W ( one of the quietest but has lot's of compatibility issues )
Corsair VX 450W ( Corsairs are pretty good and this is affordable )
Zalman ZM360B-APS (cheapest of all of them in here. Fan seems high quality )
Seasonic S12-380W / 330W (finding original S12 might be hard )
ST30NF 300W (absolutely silent but is twice as expensive as cheapest alternative )

Koolpc

Post by Koolpc » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:10 pm

Corsair 520w modular. Very quiet

Edit: Not anymore!! Fan making noise!!
Last edited by Koolpc on Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:52 am

Koolpc wrote:Corsair 520w modular. Very quiet
Also having issues of Buzzing... But less prone to failure than NeoHe, so I should probably add that to list aswell. Thank you.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:36 am

SPCR measured the SPL of the BeQuiet 430 at 21 dBA @ 1m. Since it's in a modest power system, I assume the fan does not ramp up much if at all. I see you're using a Nexus Caterpillar Silent System Case -- which does not give the PSU as cool a working environment as the P182 you mentioned. Anyway, replacing the BeQuiet 430 with any of the PSUs on your list isn't really going to help; all of them have the same basic idle noise, even though the quality may differ a bit. That's not including the fanless Silverstone, of course, which has it own challenges -- ie, making sure it runs cool enough.

If I were in your position, I'd try experimenting with slowing down the fan in the existing PSU.

How? Well, because SPCR measured the idle fan voltage of our BQ430 samples at 4.3V, the 5V trick won't work, and neither will most external manual fan controllers as they generally don't go below 5V. Splicing in a silicon diode is probably the cheapest practical way -- this means opening up the PSU and cutting into the fan lead. Check cpemma's site for details.

The tricky thing about this mod will be how close the 4.3V default fan voltage is to the fan's minimum start voltage. It would be really nice to find out exactly at what voltage the fan starts. Since it's rated to spin at 2000rpm at 12V, I'd guess 4.3V could be pretty close to min start voltage.

If you'd rather not go this route, you could simple swap out the fan for another good one with a lower rated speed. I'd use one of Scythe's Sony S-FDB bearing fans -- one rated for ~1500rpm. Or an NMB of similar spec, which Scythe also markets in the EU. To be specific:

S-FLEX SFF21F (1600rpm)
Minebea 12cm Mid (1600rpm): 4710KL-04W-B19-V54

Why not old favorites like the Nexus and YateLoon? Because they are sleeve bearings, which I don't feel comfortable recommending for up/down blowing use under hotter conditions, and because they probably won't start until the PSU gets hotter (ie, when the fan voltage rises signficantly higher than 4.3V), which may lead to shorter life & poorer stability for the PSU. On the other hand, a couple samples of the S-FLEX SFF21F (1600rpm) were tested by SPCR to start with a minimum voltage of 4V @ 550rpm. The SPL at this speed was too low (<19dBA) for us to measure accurately.

Hope all that helps.

amjedm

Post by amjedm » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:47 am

If you're not going to follow MikeC's advice is there any chance you could put the system back in the P180, get a PSU similar to the NeoHE or Noisetaker and remove fans and then use the bottom chamber fan to cool the PSU?

MikeC and Devonavar have advised the above and I'm using it in a P180 at the moment. Have left the PSU casing intact (have removed fans though) and the bottom chamber fan (undervolted Nexus) is cooling a Noisetaker 485.

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:59 am

MikeC wrote:SPCR measured the SPL of the BeQuiet 430 at 21 dBA @ 1m. Since it's in a modest power system, I assume the fan does not ramp up much if at all. I see you're using a Nexus Caterpillar Silent System Case -- which does not give the PSU as cool a working environment as the P182 you mentioned. Anyway, replacing the BeQuiet 430 with any of the PSUs on your list isn't really going to help; all of them have the same basic idle noise, even though the quality may differ a bit. That's not including the fanless Silverstone, of course, which has it own challenges -- ie, making sure it runs cool enough.
Thanks, but fan speed was the same in Nexus caterpillar and in P182B. Around 950 RPM's. In both cases PSU is mounted on floor. This be quiet! I am going to plug into my gaming rig, powering my 7900gs sli instead horrible coil whiner: Antec TP II 550W.
If I were in your position, I'd try experimenting with slowing down the fan in the existing PSU.
That is viable option, if I would have tools to do fan swap.
How? Well, because SPCR measured the idle fan voltage of our BQ430 samples at 4.3V, the 5V trick won't work, and neither will most external manual fan controllers as they generally don't go below 5V. Splicing in a silicon diode is probably the cheapest practical way -- this means opening up the PSU and cutting into the fan lead. Check cpemma's site for details.
The tricky thing about this mod will be how close the 4.3V default fan voltage is to the fan's minimum start voltage. It would be really nice to find out exactly at what voltage the fan starts. Since it's rated to spin at 2000rpm at 12V, I'd guess 4.3V could be pretty close to min start voltage.
Thanks. This will be some use for me.
If you'd rather not go this route, you could simple swap out the fan for another good one with a lower rated speed. I'd use one of Scythe's Sony S-FDB bearing fans -- one rated for ~1500rpm. Or an NMB of similar spec, which Scythe also markets in the EU. To be specific:

S-FLEX SFF21F (1600rpm)
Minebea 12cm Mid (1600rpm): 4710KL-04W-B19-V54

Why not old favorites like the Nexus and YateLoon? Because they are sleeve bearings, which I don't feel comfortable recommending for up/down blowing use under hotter conditions, and because they probably won't start until the PSU gets hotter (ie, when the fan voltage rises signficantly higher than 4.3V), which may lead to shorter life & poorer stability for the PSU. On the other hand, a couple samples of the S-FLEX SFF21F (1600rpm) were tested by SPCR to start with a minimum voltage of 4V @ 550rpm. The SPL at this speed was too low (<19dBA) for us to measure accurately.

Hope all that helps.
Thanks a bunch once again. This was very helpful for my future projects.

FanSwap seems to be viable option especially the 1600 RPM fan Scythe seems nice. But I probably will change my Be Quiet! into Corsair VX 450W so I can power up my gaming rig more quietly and I get as quiet PSU as my current one is. In my understantment VX450W will stay quieter than my Be Quiet! So I kinda like that fact. It also is 1cm shorter than my Be Quiet! Which means its easier fit than my Be Quiet in Nexus case.

Edit: In VX450 W article, there was mention about coil whine when fan was stopped, but article said that when fan was spinning it could not be heard.

Koolpc

Post by Koolpc » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:33 pm

Well, my Corsair 520w Is not that quiet!! I can hear the fan. Not sure what to say really. I want a quieter PSU without going fanless. Where do i go from here?

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:08 pm

Koolpc wrote:Well, my Corsair 520w Is not that quiet!! I can hear the fan. Not sure what to say really. I want a quieter PSU without going fanless. Where do i go from here?
if fanless is not an option, then only option left is fanswap. there are plenty of guides how to do this (see stickies).

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:55 am

I was looking bit older PSU's and I came across old article about Nexus Real Silent 400W PSU. It seems very nice. Very smooth and it would have more than enough juices power up my rig quietly and more than enough cables... And its pretty decent prices in here. Lower than Corsair's VX450 W...

Koolpc

Post by Koolpc » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:35 pm

Isd the Nexus really quiet though? I have my PC on the desk and i can hear the fan in my Corsair above everything else!!

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:47 am

i can hear the fan in my Corsair above everything else!!
how is that even possible? don't you have any hard drives? please list your components.

Koolpc

Post by Koolpc » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:29 am

I use a laptop Hard Drive in my pc. Can't hear it!!

s_xero

Post by s_xero » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:06 am

Koolpc, don't settle the system on the desk. Simple as that.

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:34 am

I just swapped the fan in Be Quiet!
Before: 910 to 960 RPM's minute
Now: 440 to 490 RPM's minute

Fan before: Globe Fan B1202512L-3M Ball bearing fan. Probbaly 2000 to 25000 RPM fan.

New Fan: Scythe S-flex F (1600 rpm fan ) Now that is inaudiable!