Antec 850W Quattro noise level

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

evil_md

Antec 850W Quattro noise level

Post by evil_md » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:04 pm

Hi,

I'm in the process of upgrading my old system. My new parts are:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
Antec P180 with stock fans
Asus EN8600GTS Silent
Antec 850W Quattro

My loudest component is the PSU. I first installed a Seasonic S12 550W but returned it because the fan was pointing upwards and not out the back. With the Seasonic, the system was almost silent; i had to put my ear next to the case to hear the fans.

The system is louder now with the Antec Quattro. Still pretty quiet, but i can hear the PSU fan from 15ft away. The system runs very cool.

CPU: 20 degrees
Motherboard: 30 degrees

I thought there would be a temp. sensor on the Antec Quattro that would dial down the fan RPM if not needed. But so far, i have not seen this effect.

Is there anything i can do? (Besides replacing the PSU).

Thanks!

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:11 pm

I first installed a Seasonic S12 550W but returned it because the fan was pointing upwards and not out the back.
that is how it is supposed to be in a P180.
you can swap the fan, but then that's your $200 PSU down the tubes if anything goes wrong with it (voided warranty). why can't you return this one like you returned the Seasonic? you would be fine with a 300w PSU by the way.

evil_md

Post by evil_md » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:37 pm

jaganath wrote:
I first installed a Seasonic S12 550W but returned it because the fan was pointing upwards and not out the back.
that is how it is supposed to be in a P180.
you can swap the fan, but then that's your $200 PSU down the tubes if anything goes wrong with it (voided warranty). why can't you return this one like you returned the Seasonic? you would be fine with a 300w PSU by the way.

I thought if the fan points upwards, the air has nowhere to go in the PSU compartment at the bottom of the P180. I thought it should blow air out the back.

I could return this one, but i ordered from Dell. So they charge 15% restocking fee and i have to pay shipping costs. :(

elpibe10

Post by elpibe10 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:27 pm

evil_md wrote: I thought if the fan points upwards, the air has nowhere to go in the PSU compartment at the bottom of the P180. I thought it should blow air out the back.

I could return this one, but i ordered from Dell. So they charge 15% restocking fee and i have to pay shipping costs. :(
I think you're mistaken. It doesn't matter whether the fan is facing up or down as it is sucking air into the PSU and releasing the exhaust air through the back of the PSU.

evil_md

Post by evil_md » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:28 pm

elpibe10 wrote:
evil_md wrote: I thought if the fan points upwards, the air has nowhere to go in the PSU compartment at the bottom of the P180. I thought it should blow air out the back.

I think you're mistaken. It doesn't matter whether the fan is facing up or down as it is sucking air into the PSU and releasing the exhaust air through the back of the PSU.
Oh, i didnt know that. okay, i guess my only option is to get a quieter PSU.

Thanks.

QuaiBoy

Post by QuaiBoy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:35 am

If you have to, keep it as a spare or try modding it. If it's your first such project try and get someone with soldering skills involved. Not that you'll even need to solder probably, but such a person would've at least been inside of an electronic component casing before. Watch out for the big cylinders in there. ;-)

-Evan

Delta_42
-- Vendor --

Post by Delta_42 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:34 am

Do you realise that an 850W PSU is probably powerful enough to run 3 PCs of that spec?

Its massive overkill. I have two overclocked 8800GTs, an E6600 and a pair of raptors running off a 520W supply.

Your PC would run quite happily off a 450W supply at the very most, whilst still giving you headroom should you upgrade the graphics card in the future.

Shaman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shaman » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:33 pm

Delta_42 wrote:Do you realise that an 850W PSU is probably powerful enough to run 3 PCs of that spec?
I was thinking the same thing. At first I thought he was a 'misguided power-crazed gamer' :lol: then I saw he's running an 8600GTS hmm..