why they don't make moddable PSUs?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

RaptorZX3

why they don't make moddable PSUs?

Post by RaptorZX3 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:14 pm

why they don't make PSUs fan-moddable? like they could make a small compartment for the fan, with vibration-absorbing rubbers, and they put a seal on the power-compartment only, where we won't go, instead of the whole thing, with the fan plug in that compartment.

so it'll be a lot easier for us to swap the fan from the PSU instead of taking out the whole damn thing, taking like a hour or two to do so (maybe more, my Scythe Ninja take a lot of space so i might have to take it off to take the PSU out, dammit...), it would take like 10 minutes and you only have to take the fan out.

...quickly said, a modular fan, if it get too loud, you take it out and you use a different one safely without opening the power-supply space.

most of us modify PSUs and void their warranty, but if they do the way i explained, the warranty won't be void while we use a different fan because it was becoming too loud.

Because i don't think i'll send the whole PSU back to Seasonic for a replacement when it weights way too much to send by mail (it'll cost like between 30-50$ for shipping, geez!), plus the time i won't be able to use my computer while waiting...only because of a fan.

sheninat0r

Post by sheninat0r » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:05 pm

It's probably too much of a hassle, and plus, how many people out of ALL of their PSU customers will really be interested in doing a fan-swap? It wouldn't be worth the expense, at least in their eyes.

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:20 pm

they could make a PSUs line for enthusiasts, there's always a niche for this, just look at ThermalRight, they target the cooling and silent enthusiasts, plus you can use any fan you wish and very easy to replace when the fan become too noisy

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:21 pm

what if the customer swaps in a fan that doesn't push enough CFM? dead PSU, unhappy customer, no doubt they will blame the company, even though it was their fault. also, the fan controller would have to be unbelievably sophisticated, because if you put in say a 2200rpm fan but it only needs ~800rpm at low loads, then the fan control PCB should put out <4V; but a lot of fans won't start below 5/6V.

qviri

Post by qviri » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:10 pm

jaganath wrote:what if the customer swaps in a fan that doesn't push enough CFM? dead PSU, unhappy customer, no doubt they will blame the company, even though it was their fault.
The same could be said for companies selling fanless or choose-your-own-fan CPU heatsinks, or even companies that sell heatsinks that use fan clips so you can easily swap in your own, but you don't see many of these claims around.

It is true that the PSU has the potential to break more things when it overheats as compared to the CPU, but a properly-designed PSU should shut down cleanly, fanswap or not.
jaganath wrote:also, the fan controller would have to be unbelievably sophisticated, because if you put in say a 2200rpm fan but it only needs ~800rpm at low loads, then the fan control PCB should put out <4V; but a lot of fans won't start below 5/6V.
The fan controller could just give out as much voltage as required to keep some benchmark temperature below a given level. If the temperature goes up, up the voltage until temp returns to the reference. You would probably want a two-threshold trigger to prevent the fan accelerating then slowing down constantly, but other than that, it's a pretty straightforward situation. If you have a fan that starts at 1000 rpm but could keep on running at 800 rpm, well, that's the price of a fan-modular PSU. If you specifically wanted a PWM system, too bad as well.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:13 am

It is true that the PSU has the potential to break more things when it overheats as compared to the CPU, but a properly-designed PSU should shut down cleanly, fanswap or not.
AFAIAA no PSUs have specific overheat protection (just OCP,OVP etc). so it will not "just shut down cleanly".

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:27 am

jaganath
AFAIAA no PSUs have specific overheat protection
All FSPs do. At least.

Strid

Post by Strid » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:24 pm

I recently fanswapped my PSU. I think it was pretty straight forward. Take the thing off, open it, remove old fan, solder wires of new fan on and put the thing back together. I can't see how it could get much easier. Perhaps I could save a screw or two if it was made for it, but hardly worth paying extra for an easily accessible PSU fan IMO.

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:04 pm

yeah but when you have a Sonata 2 and a Scythe Ninja blocking the way...it's something more complex to do only to take the friggin' thing out...

Strid

Post by Strid » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:01 am

True, I too had to take my remove my Ninja to get to the PSU. But I blame ThermalTake for making a careless case design.

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:14 am

i just wish Antec would have make some clearance for the PSU so you can put it in from the side instead, like in some cases like the P180 i think.

i checked the size of the PSU and it 86mm thick, so i'll check if it can pass between my case and the Ninja (if i remove my S12 from the Ninja that is...by taking off the metal clips.

but i wonder...if i have to take off my Ninja...i used the Zalman ZM-STG1, will i have to clean and put that stuff again on my CPU and heatsink base? it seem like it's a pain in the ass to remove, with the clip on both side of the socket...

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:55 pm

i measured today and i have around 88mm of clearance between the Ninja and the front fan...if i have to, i'll take the front fan out while i'll do the modification...cos i don't want to take my Ninja out, too much of a hassle.

oh god i hate the Noctua rubbers that come with the fans, they are way too firm, it's too hard to install them correctly, and most of the time they break while doing so.

Moogles

Post by Moogles » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:10 am

Probably because the fans are thermally controlled, and you don't want someone to install a 500RPM fan when a 1600RPM one is needed. With CPUs and GPUs you can monitor how effective your 'custom' cooling solution is, not so with PSUs. If you're running inadequate cooling for your PSU, and it overheats, the consequences can be dire.

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:23 am

so that's why they always say the PSU is almost always the loudest component in a computer.

the fan coming with the Ninja is a good replacemrnt fan for the PSU?

1,200rpm, around 21dbA, 48-49CFM i think, sleeve-bearing.

qviri

Post by qviri » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:05 pm

Moogles wrote:Probably because the fans are thermally controlled, and you don't want someone to install a 500RPM fan when a 1600RPM one is needed. With CPUs and GPUs you can monitor how effective your 'custom' cooling solution is, not so with PSUs. If you're running inadequate cooling for your PSU, and it overheats, the consequences can be dire.
Temperature sensing isn't hard. Find a representative spot to monitor and shut down the PSU when temperature exceeds some threshold of safety. That's exactly what modern CPUs do to prevent users from fouling up too much with custom heatsinks (let alone fans).

It definitely can be done, the question is whether it's worth it. And that's not for us to answer.

FlorisNielssen

Post by FlorisNielssen » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:59 am

Other problem: how where you thinking about the PSU-internals?
If you want the fan in a different compartment, or kind of, the airflow through the PSU might be a lot less. What you don't want. I think it isn't practical at all. Just because of the design of PSU's.
And, like somebody else already pointed out, PSU-makers probably won't do it because of the small market and the costs.

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:59 am

as someone else pointed out....then why they would make fanless PSUs? they still heat a lot, but you need a good ventilation.

anyway...i know i had some crazy ideas in the past, and later they made that product available on the market....so i was kinda ahead of time. (for example, when i was in elementary school, i thought about putting food colorings in the white glue to give it some color, around a year later they released colored "white glue" on the market)

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:56 am

RaptorZX3
the fan coming with the Ninja is a good replacemrnt fan for the PSU?
The first question you have to ask yourself is - does the original fan really need replacement? The fan's flow \ noise ratio in free air doesn't matter much relating to PSU cooling: in this case the fan just has to push some small amount of CFM, above which the air flow starts to create a turbulent whoosh in the PSU's internal components. Almost any fan can do it noiselessly, so the only reason for a fan swap is some unrecoverable electrical \ mechanical noise. In other words, it's flow itself that makes noise, not the fan, so the only radical solution is a rev-down.