New PSU won't turn on - what's wrong?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

tbessie

New PSU won't turn on - what's wrong?

Post by tbessie » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:37 pm

I got a new Corsair HW520W (probably much bigger than I needed, but oh well), and needed to power my SATA DVD drive to eject it (the emergency eject wasn't working). I plugged in the drive, plugged in the power supply, turned on the power supply, and nothing happened. Fan didn't go on, drive didn't get powered.

Are modern PSU's required to be plugged into motherboards to even go on, or is this PSU a dud, do you think?

- Tim

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: New PSU won't turn on - what's wrong?

Post by xan_user » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:54 pm

tbessie wrote:I got a new Corsair HW520W (probably much bigger than I needed, but oh well), and needed to power my SATA DVD drive to eject it (the emergency eject wasn't working). I plugged in the drive, plugged in the power supply, turned on the power supply, and nothing happened. Fan didn't go on, drive didn't get powered.

Are modern PSU's required to be plugged into motherboards to even go on, or is this PSU a dud, do you think?

- Tim
Yes.
there is a way arround this, but im to tired to remeber how... google"turn on psu without motherboard".

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:00 pm

Connect PS_ON to ground. I usually use a paperclip or something but I'm not sure I would recommend that on a brand new PSU if you don't know what you're doing. ;)

tbessie

Post by tbessie » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:44 pm

Vicotnik wrote:Connect PS_ON to ground. I usually use a paperclip or something but I'm not sure I would recommend that on a brand new PSU if you don't know what you're doing. ;)

Thanks folks - I ended up just plugging it into the motherboard.
Thank you for your suggestions, though - I'm learning something every day around here! :-)

- Tim