Slipstream in Corsair 550VX.

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Copyright

Slipstream in Corsair 550VX.

Post by Copyright » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:01 pm

Well I did the install and If I had to do it over i would get the 1,600 rpm sleapstream..its spinning slipstream 1,200 VERY slowly. The 1,600 would move a bit more air and probably be just as silent at this low 4V. It did get rid of the stupid tic noise. The ADDA fan was garbage. I cant feel much air at all coming out the back but then again I cant feel much air coming out the back of my 520 version either. The whole thing was very easy. I cut the stock fan out and left the original power that supplied it. I soldered the new wires to the old wires I cut and used some automotive grade heat shrink tube around each connection. I did have one question. If this thing starts to get to hot.... will it speed the fan up? Or just fry? I had about 10 ppl recommend this fan but wish I had gone with the 1,600rpm version.

kaange

Post by kaange » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:50 pm

You should try the fan on a direct 12V connection to gauge it's potential CFM. The fan controller in the PSU will speed it up pronto if the components start getting hot since it is thermally controlled - not hardcoded to run a particular voltage at a particular output level.

DonQ

Re: Slipstream in Corsair 550VX.

Post by DonQ » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:19 pm

Copyright wrote:Well I did the install and If I had to do it over i would get the 1,600 rpm sleapstream..its spinning slipstream 1,200 VERY slowly. The 1,600 would move a bit more air and probably be just as silent at this low 4V. It did get rid of the stupid tic noise. The ADDA fan was garbage. I cant feel much air at all coming out the back but then again I cant feel much air coming out the back of my 520 version either. The whole thing was very easy. I cut the stock fan out and left the original power that supplied it. I soldered the new wires to the old wires I cut and used some automotive grade heat shrink tube around each connection. I did have one question. If this thing starts to get to hot.... will it speed the fan up? Or just fry? I had about 10 ppl recommend this fan but wish I had gone with the 1,600rpm version.

I'm working on finding a fan to replace the noisy ADDA that was in my 520HX. First fan I tried was the 1600 RPM Slipstream. Spun a little when I first turned the computer on but then it stopped. If I spun it manually at least twice it kept spinning but then stopped again after a few minutes. I continued to use the computer (Gigabyte 770 AMD chipset + HD3850) for a bit but noticed that the PSU was getting quite warm so I chose to look for another fan. I was interested to know whether it would spin up if it got hotter but then I saw the SPCR chart as to how the voltage stays constant for under 300 W.

I also have a 1200 RPM Slipstream, courtesy of a new Ninja, and that one spun all the time but quite slowly. Perhaps unit variability?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:42 am

Hello,

The fan speed is controlled by the temperature -- not a particular output level. The fan will speed up if the PSU starts to get hot. If it doesn't speed up, then it doesn't need to.

It sounds like you used the perfect fan -- it spins some, but not too fast. :twisted:

Copyright

Post by Copyright » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:00 am

The 1,200 spins as soon as I power it on. Only way I could tell it was moving air was to use a piece of paper behind it to see it slightly push it away. If its temp controlled then im not worried. I find it odd the 1,600 would not start at a low voltage. I would think it would start just as easy or easier then the 1,200 @ 4V. I'll run it until it dies. So far I dont feel any extra heat coming out the back and considering the setup im using this thing on isnt very demanding it probably doesnt need much cfm at all to keep it cool. Im worried about when I toss some newer more demanding parts in later on. The fan @ 12V moved a lot of air and really wasnt all that loud. I would think the 800rpm version would make a great case fan you would not need to undervolt.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:48 am

Hello,

You'll be fine, even with a more demanding system! If the system draws more power, the PSU heats up -- and the fan blows harder, to keep the temps down.

I can confirm that the the slower (800RPM and 500RPM) Slipstreams are great -- they are the quietest fans I know of. The 800RPM is also very versatile (it starts at 5v or possibly lower), but the 500RPM starts at 8-9v -- though it is very quiet even at 12v. (See the SPCR Copper Ninja review for info on the 800RPM.)

DonQ

Post by DonQ » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:16 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello,

The fan speed is controlled by the temperature -- not a particular output level. The fan will speed up if the PSU starts to get hot. If it doesn't speed up, then it doesn't need to.

It sounds like you used the perfect fan -- it spins some, but not too fast. :twisted:
Schwang!!

I'll post some pics of my new build when I finish it. Inwin case and Dremel kit are still on the way. I wanted a Lian Li but they all seem to be 19.3" deep and where it would end up sitting it would be too close to my face - that's why I got rid of my P150 and got a TJ08.