Singing and Ringing fanless PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

LBadvance

Singing and Ringing fanless PSU

Post by LBadvance » Thu May 15, 2008 4:44 pm

I have the mcubed EF16 fanless psu

The PSU is cool and silent during usage (when there is load), but when the load is low, the singing from the inductors is really loud. So loud that I can hear it 4-5M away from it. So what happens is when I turn it off it gets louder then when it is on! (this is a first)

Are there any remedies for it? Or is the hot glue on the coils the only option? Or I should manually unplug it from the wall each time I stop using it.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Fri May 16, 2008 10:28 pm

If it is a feature and not a bug, then the answer I feel to be obvious. :wink:

In plain words, if you think the PSU is defective, RMA it. If they're all like that, then your only options really are hot glue and the power switch - or keeping the PSU under load at all times, but that's just silly (join the folding community today!). Replacing it with something that works properly is fine too.

My monitor is the same now. When new, the VP171s had no whine issues, but with age the backlight inverter (I'm guessing, as it is common) has started squealing. The whine is audible in standby and loud when the power is soft-off. I've been flipping the main power switch for months now, and feel enough is enough - I'm replacing the ol' warhorse in the near future.

LBadvance

Post by LBadvance » Sat May 17, 2008 5:03 am

I find that putting the computer on standby solves the problem. I guess that extra 1W used to keep the ram alive is enough load for the PSU.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sat May 17, 2008 7:57 am

Nice! An easy and straightforward solution.

Maybe you should post the details of the product and your solution to the Whining Components sticky so people could easily find out about it.