PSU efficiency leader is...Dell?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

tehfire

PSU efficiency leader is...Dell?

Post by tehfire » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:41 am

http://www.techpowerup.com/63936/Dell_F ... iency.html

I'm sure some of the SPCR favorites could get that certification, but it's commendable nonetheless that Dell managed to make a very efficient power supply. Seeing that it's a server power supply, however, I wouldn't vouch for its noiselessness.

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:02 am

Hmm, I just looked this up and it's not as impressive as thought. The gold award was on a Server 12v ONLY psu. Still awesome, but not something we could use. Also dell sources their psu's from other makers usually, so the question becomes who is actually making these?

At the rate we're going through, I'm kinda expecting a gold rated psu with all voltages by end of year. Love the idea of having a 90% efficient toy :)

And no, none of the spcr favorites can touch 90% efficiency yet. They're all generally in the standard or bronze categories.

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:44 pm

The power supply in my parents’ Dell Vostro 400 desktop is surprisingly efficient for what is an entry level system especially at idle and on standby; pretty quiet to.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:37 pm

Dell managed to make a very efficient power supply.
Dell do not MAKE anything, they PAY other people to MAKE things for them, they simply assemble and sell them.

What would be far more interesting (if it was not a 12v only PSU) would be knowing who the OEM was.

Andy

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:30 pm

Now one thing I just noticed is the two dell psus with 80plus silver have ridiculous low end efficiency. 92-94%. I think that may even be better than a picopsu. Besides the size, these would be very awesome to have in all low power systems.

Strid

Post by Strid » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:28 pm

My question is .. where can I get one?? :?
(Without purchasing a Dell PC, that is)

lobuni

Post by lobuni » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:02 am

merlin wrote:Now one thing I just noticed is the two dell psus with 80plus silver have ridiculous low end efficiency. 92-94%. I think that may even be better than a picopsu. Besides the size, these would be very awesome to have in all low power systems.
I would say it should be more efficient