Nexus Psile build, PW-200-M PSU?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Blinky7

Nexus Psile build, PW-200-M PSU?

Post by Blinky7 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:42 pm

Hi, well I saw the nexus psile and I totally loved the case! I want to build a system around it but I want it to be rather powerfull for a mini-itx. The fact that a full size (at lease height-wise) card can fit in the Psile means I can have the graphics power I need and can also upgrade it whenever I want.

It sure is hard to find the components I need because the market for mini-itx is small, and my needs are not the usual ones so manufacturers don't cover users like me with their products. So I have to make do with some products, but my main question is about the PSU.

I want the biggest picopsu I can get so I can power a GPU. OK not a high-end one but I need to have around 70-100W headroom for the GPU. So a 150W one (like the nexus one) would be kind of barely enough. Searching hte web, the biggest one I could get was the PW-200-M rated at 200W. but I notice its top is kind of flat and bigger than the connector so I don't know if it will fit in teh nexus or it will hit somewhere in the case. Will it? Moreover I couldn't find an external unit to power it. I saw some units claiming 12V 8.8A but this was 110W, what's the point of using one of those to power this 200W picopsu?

This was my main question but if you can also tell me some stuff about the other parts, well mostly my problem is the motherboard. I don't care about intel or AMD, however an 775 board would be best, to use one of those penryns for low power comsumption and good performance, (I got my eye on the E7200). But what I mostly care about is a PCI-express x16 slot for my GPU. (ok 2 dimms are in most of the boards anyway).
It's obvious that if any manufacturer would make a simple 965/p35/p45 board in mini-itx form, with 775 socket, a 16x pci-express and 2 dimms that's all I would need (ok some mini-pcis wouldn't hurt either but who cares if I had the rest) but of course I couldn't find such a thing. The closest thing I could find was some Q965 boards that had 775 socket and the pci-express slot, but they were very rare... do you know of any other board that fits my needs?

About the GPU I'm thinking an ATI 4670, they dont have much consumption, good performance (3850 like) and most importantly they are less than 21cm length (limit in the psile).

So, what are your thoughts? mostly on the power supply?

potsy

Post by potsy » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:01 pm

You could think about an mCubed EF28 instead of the pico. It looks from the photo on the Nexus site that it would fit where the PSB-1000 DC-DC Converter is shown: link The mCubed is rated peak 280w so a bit more power than the pico/PW200M, handy if you use a graphics card or want more drives. Also comes with a fanless external brick to cover it. More expensive but nice. Mine has worked flawlessly and silently for nearly a year. You can see it here mounted on a psu backing plate (although I've since updated mobo&cpu as you can see in my sig):potsy's 'puter