pico PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

soniasbroda

pico PSU

Post by soniasbroda » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:17 am

hallo everybody,
I'd like to ask you a question:
I'd like to buy a picoPSU for my EPIA ML8000, which will run at 30-40W maximum.
I'm not sure if I should by the 60W picoPSU (I will never need more than 60W) or I could go for the 120W (which seems to be the most efficient PSU)

So my question is:
will a 120W PSU be wasted on a max40W system, and all I'll get will be extra consumption due to the 80W capacity that is not used? or the fact that I'll drain 1/3 of the Watts doesn't count, and I should choose the 120W PSU because is more efficient?

Thanks a lot for your precious help
Ale

Aard

Post by Aard » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:30 am

Hi
So my question is:
will a 120W PSU be wasted on a max40W system, and all I'll get will be extra consumption due to the 80W capacity that is not used? or the fact that I'll drain 1/3 of the Watts doesn't count, and I should choose the 120W PSU because is more efficient?
A power supply will only supply the amount of power demanded by the system attached to it, so if you buy the 120 W Pico PSU you won't use anymore power than if you purchased the 60 W (differences in efficiency aside).

As for the differing efficiency, you need to remember that very few devices have a static efficiency, power supplies included. What you have instead is an efficiency curve and determining what is most efficient for you requires you to compare where you are on that curve.

Of course any difference in efficiency at low loads such as yours would be minimal, with 5% difference at 40 W being only a 2W difference at the wall; not something to lose too much sleep over.