I use a 350W Enermax

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

modman
Location: A land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas.

I use a 350W Enermax

Post by modman » Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:12 am

I use the ENERMAX EG365P-VE (FCA). It has a 92MM on top (or bottom depending on how one installs it) with a speed control nob. The rear 80MM fan is speed controlled by the motherboard.

Since your advice is sound (no pun intented), and I have two days left to RMA if I want...

What PSU do you guys suggest for a box with:

Intel P4 2.8C (800MHz system bus)
Intel D865PERLK motherboard
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
2x 512MB Corsair DDR 3200C2 (in dual-channel mode)
1 Samsung SM-352 DVD/CDR/W Combo
1 Plextor Premium CDR/W
1 WD1200JB (120MB HD)
CoolerMaster TAC-T01 case (WaveMaster)
Upcoming:
2 WD3600 (SATA 40GB Raptor)
1 (more) WD1200JB
1 DVD+-R/W (Pioneer or Sony)

The case doesn't have a top fan, therefore the PSU is installed inverted with the extra (92MM) fan facing down.

Update: The case has a 80MM (mobo speed controlled) rear fan and two (loud) 80MM front fans at 12V.

I understand these hard disks are not quiet, in fact, the WD whines, but I do software development, and plan to start on video editing, so I am willing to put up with a bit more noise for the speed.

Should I ditch the PSU? What do you suggest I should use?
Last edited by modman on Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:24 am, edited 5 times in total.

DanOnKeys
Patron of SPCR

Post by DanOnKeys » Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:25 am

When I read your post, I thought it sounded like a "true confession"-type post -- in my head. Of course, I hear lots of stuff in my head. Are you happy with your Enermax PSU? What are you running in your system, and what kind of noise does it make?

HearNoEvil

Post by HearNoEvil » Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:21 am

DanOnKeys wrote:When I read your post, I thought it sounded like a "true confession"-type post -- in my head.
I think it is, mate :lol:

Actually, I must admit that I also used to have one of those Enermax EG365P-VE PSUs... :oops:

But I got rid of it after having been brainwashed and sucked into the Vortex Of Silent Computer Operation, aka VOSCO-syndrome.

One thing I did before giving up on my Enermax was to get rid of the fan grills and disable that fan, which is pointing towards the motherboard since this fan isn't really needed unless you are a hardcore overclocker.

It did help a little, but then the VOSCO factor kicked in and I got myself a Nexus 3000 instead, which is much quieter.

modman

Post by modman » Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:10 am

DanOnKeys wrote:When I read your post, I thought it sounded like a "true confession"-type post -- in my head. Of course, I hear lots of stuff in my head.
When I read _my_ post, I thought I was delutional, although I can see red... perhaps my newborn addiction to silence...

I posted instead of replying. I am a newbie to this forum stuff, what can I say... :oops:

I fixed it. Please advice.

Raygun

Post by Raygun » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:18 pm

...or you can mod it. Remove the 80 mm and replace the stock 92mm with a quiet fan of choice. Run it of the 80 mm fan header if you like. Then you still have the temperature control for extra safety.

Worked wonders on my old box. Had no option for RMA.

modman

Post by modman » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:31 pm

Raygun wrote:...or you can mod it. Remove the 80 mm and replace the stock 92mm with a quiet fan of choice. Run it of the 80 mm fan header if you like. Then you still have the temperature control for extra safety.

Worked wonders on my old box. Had no option for RMA.
This is what I have on-hand for modding:
3 80MM L1As
1 80MM M1A
1 92MM M1A
1 120MM L1A

I read many stories about the clicking noise of Papst when speed controlled. This is the reason why I got the Panaflos. I got the three M1As for a few more dollars than a Papst.

I think the M1As will work, but should I consider a Papst or something else?

DanOnKeys
Patron of SPCR

Post by DanOnKeys » Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:36 pm

Well, it seems obvious to me that what you should try is: everything! I would probably try removing both fans and popping in a 80mm L1A. Check temperatures and make sure everything's 'cool'. If you need more, I'd try a 80mm M1A instead. Personally, I'd stop there if I wasn't satisfied the PSU was getting enough airflow (and buy a Fortron or Seasonic). But -- since you have the fans -- try everything! Maybe add in the 92mm (w/ and w/o the 80's) -- and maybe try cutting a hole in the back of your PSU (directly opposite the location of the stock 80) and mount an 80mm on the outside of the PSU (inside your case). Don't forget to experiment with covering up the hole on the bottom of the PSU, too. I think each case (case) is (relatively) unique (ambient air, components, usage, etc) -- so you'll have to figure out your own special magic formula (I'm still working on mine). . .

Hope this helps!

ian1234

Post by ian1234 » Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:03 pm

Hi,

I think I've got the same PSU as you. I replaced both fans with Panflo L1A set to 7v using a fan controller. It's much quieter now and the air coming out of the PSU is still relatively cool.

herosformula

Post by herosformula » Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:47 pm

I am using the 365 Enermax also. It is a good efficient power supply with little problems with coil whine and odd noises (unlike Fortron and Nexus I have tried), just with a poor choice in fans and thermistor location. I run mine with a Panaflow 92mm H1A (on a cool day, I can turn off my case fan and everything stays cool enough) Take off the outer 80mm fan, its useless.

modman

Post by modman » Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:01 am

ian1234 wrote:Hi,

I think I've got the same PSU as you. I replaced both fans with Panflo L1A set to 7v using a fan controller. It's much quieter now and the air coming out of the PSU is still relatively cool.
I replaced the PSU fan in a PowerMac G4-733 (Quicksilver 2002) with a L1A to lower the noise, but the increase in heat now causes the 60MM CPU fan to run at a higher (and louder) speed.

This PC is running in the mid 40Cs where my other P4-2.53 runs at or below 35C. I am almost certain an L1A won't be sufficient.

I guesstimate the room temperature at 72F.

modman

Post by modman » Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:10 am

herosformula wrote:I run mine with a Panaflow 92mm H1A (on a cool day, I can turn off my case fan and everything stays cool enough) Take off the outer 80mm fan, its useless.
Last night I noticed (that while idle) the rear case fan was off while the PSU fan was running at around 1300RPM. I am thinking that perhaps a high CFM low-noise 80MM fan in the PSU (at the top of the case) would allow me to replace the rear case fan with an L1A at 5-7V.

I am also thinking on using a fan bracket for the 120MM L1A at 5V. Is this a good idea?

herosformula

Post by herosformula » Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:52 pm

The 92mm H1A pulls a lot of pressure, so a 80mm L1A in the rear case position will not push air.

modman

Post by modman » Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:31 pm

herosformula wrote:The 92mm H1A pulls a lot of pressure, so a 80mm L1A in the rear case position will not push air.
Sorry for the late response. I was out partying :D

I looked up the specs for the 92MM you mention and the noise rating is 35dB-A. Isn't the fan loud? I am thinking that maybe you are getting less noise because of less fans running. Could you clarify? :?