Freaky Cheap PSU with a built in Fan Controller

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Freaky Cheap PSU with a built in Fan Controller

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon May 25, 2009 7:48 am

I never have seen such a thing.

You manually adjust the fan. I think the colors are neat. This might give geeks some style too.

freakishly cheap too.

Probably has longevity issues when people build: 1. crappy cases choked for intake air. 2. lower it to quietest level and run sli 20304gtxXXxx OMOGOSh super oc whatever systems

Here is it being sold: I do not put the manufacturer's link as that is not where I found it.

Freak me Daddy

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon May 25, 2009 10:46 am

Neat.
I'd prefer something like this, but that's just me.
Yes, you are absolutely right, it is a MIR and no longer available.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon May 25, 2009 9:58 pm

MIR?

and your link was to a fancy huge ad page, nothing specific

Mats

Post by Mats » Tue May 26, 2009 12:34 am

~El~Jefe~ wrote:MIR?

and your link was to a fancy huge ad page, nothing specific
Mats wrote:Yes, you are absolutely right, it is a MIR and no longer available.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Tue May 26, 2009 10:42 am

the item exists and is on sale.

what was the item you thought was cooler?

Mats

Post by Mats » Tue May 26, 2009 10:51 am

newegg wrote:Discounted prices and/or promo codes are valid till 05/06/2009.
You read that as May 6, and to me it is June 5, so I guess it's no longer available.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Tue May 26, 2009 2:07 pm

I never read that at all. what product are you talking about?

Mats

Post by Mats » Tue May 26, 2009 2:32 pm

LOL! ~El~Jefe~, I gave you a link to a thread with a title and a first post that may give you a hint...
:D

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Wed May 27, 2009 1:58 pm

Mats wrote:LOL! ~El~Jefe~, I gave you a link to a thread with a title and a first post that may give you a hint...
:D
that's still a newegg random webpage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:evil: :!: :evil: :!: :evil: :!: :evil: :!:

K.Murx

Post by K.Murx » Wed May 27, 2009 2:40 pm

~El~Jefe~ wrote: that's still a newegg random webpage!:
You have to scroll down a bit.

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Wed May 27, 2009 7:57 pm

It doesn't sound worth it too me. It's a cheap, flashy PSU. No PFC, dual fan, I don't expect that they are low speed fans either, and probably not very efficient. While it has a manual fan controller, for safety reasons, I would guess that it would still have to speed up the fans if things got too hot. Which might not take much on something like that.

Personally, a 300W OEM Seasonic also goes for $40, is a good quality PSU and is probably safe even if you swap the fan for something better/slower.

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Thu May 28, 2009 9:43 am

I'm gonna say this psu might be worth $20 at most. And probably less. Bling plus completely junk electronics do not make for a spcr recommended item :)

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Thu May 28, 2009 2:07 pm

I think fan swaps are inherrently risky doing them as well as leaving it in your 24/7 pc while you go away for the day.

Obviously, the seasonic is superior brand and has quality tested components. You just cant beat the idea of a knob to turn down the fan though. no other psu from seasonic or whatever does this. Why? not too sure, probably liability issue, but they could make one that only undervolts like 4 or so it never bottoms out.

for 18 dollars you can get a free replacement warranty. 58 dollars for money back/shipping back and a new psu. I would do it, but i tend to spend over 120 dollars on my psu's, and the are fanless.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Thu May 28, 2009 2:17 pm

merlin wrote:I'm gonna say this psu might be worth $20 at most. And probably less. Bling plus completely junk electronics do not make for a spcr recommended item :)
neither should half the psu's spcr has recommended that were severely loud and died on me in the past few years. how is cheap metal more admirable? None of these psu's are worth any money cost wise, its just marketing. they are made overseas in asia for sub-human wages.

One never knows how it is unless it looks like artless crap and comes from a "trusted brand"? MikeC checks out a lot of things that arent within the norm lately. I do not think he has tested a fan controllable psu. I am going to see if he would bite on this one :D

Here's the better one with pci-e connectors:

Big Daddy of Freak

People on here have no sense of fun at times.

kaange

Post by kaange » Thu May 28, 2009 8:52 pm

~El~Jefe~ wrote:
merlin wrote:I'm gonna say this psu might be worth $20 at most. And probably less. Bling plus completely junk electronics do not make for a spcr recommended item :)
neither should half the psu's spcr has recommended that were severely loud and died on me in the past few years.
You wouldn't mind listing these sub-par PSUs would you? I always like to know what to avoid.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri May 29, 2009 9:33 pm

well, they arent made anymore. Zalman, i had a 300 and a 400 watter (exact watts I dont remember, i think those were even 300 and 400 though)

those were the worst. Fried one in 6, then 400 one was loud and fried in 2 months. 300 was replaced by a 400 for free, 400 i just chucked in garbage.

next were the lower wattage seasonics prior to s-12 era. one was a 430 that died in a VERY well ventillated case in a cold basement with at max 120 watts of draw on it. Next was a 330? or was it a 380. It needed adapters to run on new atx standards so it was kinda old. I wouldnt buy a new seasonic ever again, even though it makes my 2nd favorite and long living psu: my corsair 620. That sucker pimps. I can't imagine a better psu for any application. I hear the nexus new one is comparable and better noise wise, but I have not tested it myself.

the best psu I have owned for all reasons is a phantom 350. I put it in a gaming system, overclock processor and graphics and its never more than mildly warm on load for a few years. maybe 4? 24/7 usage just about.

Two coolermasters crapped out too. But those came with cases, so I dont count them as included psu's I think suck in general back then.

my next psu is the newest silverstone. I know my psu can't last another 3-4 years, so I might just make it into a server/fun box and throw a silverstone in a new case.

EDIT: the 430 was an s12. It sucked.

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Sat May 30, 2009 5:40 am

~El~Jefe~ do you use a surge protector or UPS? Your luck in PSU failures is worse than any I've heard of.

I have something like 7 PSUs in that period and haven't lost any of them. The very first Seasonic Super Tornado I bought is still seeing daily use.

Even then with the thousands of PCs I've dealt with at work over the years PSU failures are something I almost never see. Noisy fans sure, but they still work.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat May 30, 2009 7:15 am

YES THE TORNADO!!!

that was my 3rd psu to fry, but my first non oem psu to fry.

i forgot that name, brings back pleasant memories of a loud psu people said was quiet and then it died terribly.

I always use a UPS, like a belkin or another regular brand. When I was at the oem stage, I know I just had a nice quality surge protector. I think these ups's are basically the same thing from what I understand now about them. They are a basic, decent quality surge protector and then a battery attached. No real filtering or voltage regulation, per se.