PicoPSU Question.

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

osian

PicoPSU Question.

Post by osian » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:24 am

Hi guys. Hopefully some of you are knowledgable on these things!

Basically I want to try an run my atx pc off one. The specs arn't special (Gigabyte GA965PAS3 / 4gb / E2160 / 8600gt / 5400rpm 2.5" HD) and so I have a power monitor showing my system using aroun 90-100w on idle and 130w at load.

Because of this, o people think I would be ok running off a 150w Pico or would it be a little safer to look at 180/200w??

Thanks

electrodacus
-- Vendor --

Post by electrodacus » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:00 pm

It will not work.
The reason is the 8600gt with a max power at load of 67W
It will have worked with an integrated video card.
A good 200W ATX power supply will work.

osian

Post by osian » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:54 am

So it's a no to any dc-dc adapter type psu?

reddyuday
Patron of SPCR

Post by reddyuday » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:56 am

osian wrote:So it's a no to any dc-dc adapter type psu?
Well, he said "good 200W ATX power supply". There is PW-200 series made by the same company as picoPSU (mini-box). But electrodacus doesn't want to recommend it. You can search the forums for various experiences people have had with it.

Another alternative is to use a separate power source for the CPU, provided via the P4 connector on your motherboard, and use picoPSU for the main power (20 or 24--pin ATX connector on your motherboard).

You can use two separate external power bricks for the two sources, or one big power brick such as Dell DA-2 but split the power into two strands. Search for DA-2 on the forums for more info.

Uday

osian

Post by osian » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:42 am

Cool, thanks for the help guys.

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:40 pm

A 200+W dc-dc board like the PV-200-V/M + a Dell DA-2 brick should run that system just fine.

I ran this system of a PV-200-V and a Dell DA-2 brick with no problems.

reddyuday
Patron of SPCR

Post by reddyuday » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:51 am

AuraAllan wrote: I ran this system of a PV-200-V and a Dell DA-2 brick with no problems.
AuraAllan, Thanks for joining us. I have been meaning to ask a couple of questions about your system.

What is the type of the junction box that you used to splice the wires from your mating connector to the PW-200's leads? And, do I see some kind of a red connector/switch for the trigger/remote line of DA-2?

I am also curious about the green/red braided lead that seems to connect to the black connector at the back (2.5mm jack again)?

That was a real sexy system you built there! Pity that you dismantled it.

Uday

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:24 am

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread a bit.
reddyuday wrote:What is the type of the junction box that you used to splice the wires from your mating connector to the PW-200's leads?
It's a terminal strip
reddyuday wrote:And, do I see some kind of a red connector/switch for the trigger/remote line of DA-2?
No. It's a (what is the English word for this? I don't think it's called a terminal strip) used for shielding of a spare wire.
reddyuday wrote:I am also curious about the green/red braided lead that seems to connect to the black connector at the back (2.5mm jack again)?
The one hanging out the back in this picture? It's the power button.
reddyuday wrote:That was a real sexy system you built there! Pity that you dismantled it.
Thanks. I've been thinking about doing a new build in the case. Also thinking about redoing the case again but i'm not sure.
Will start a thread about it if I decide to do another build in the NSK.

If you have anymore questions for this build (or suggestions for a new build) please use my NSK1300 thread.

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Post by Firetech » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:19 pm

AuraAllan wrote:No. It's a (what is the English word for this? I don't think it's called a terminal strip) used for shielding of a spare wire.
It's called a BP Connector here in Australia. I don't recall ever using them as a sparky in the UK so maybe he can just use an insulated crimp connector instead.

reddyuday
Patron of SPCR

Post by reddyuday » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:10 am

Thanks very much AuraAllan. I was planning to put a switch for the 'remote' lead of DA-2. So I was curious if you were doing it too. But it looks like you have the remote lead permanently shorted to GND. The pin 1 line, I will probably leave disconnected in my connector.