Noisy PSU on Shuttle SA76G2. Can it be fixed or replaced?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

FredGarvin

Noisy PSU on Shuttle SA76G2. Can it be fixed or replaced?

Post by FredGarvin » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:23 am

I have a Shuttle SA76G2 SFF PC that I use as a HTPC. When I got it, it was fairly quiet, but of late the PSU has become noisy. I bought a replacement on eBay, but that one has been noisier out of the box than the one it replaced. I was wondering if there was some way to fix the PSU so it wasn't so noisy or is there some kind of replacement PSU that wouldn't be so noisy? Thanks for any help.

NeilBlanchard

Re: Noisy PSU on Shuttle SA76G2. Can it be fixed or replace

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:28 pm

Hi Fred & welcome to SPCR,

I am not familiar with the exact PSU on that case, but I'm sure it is pretty similar to many PSU's: you can open the PSU's case and replace the offending fan with a new quieter fan.

Do you know hat size the fan is?

FredGarvin

Post by FredGarvin » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:50 pm

Thanks for the welcome Neil. The part number on the side of the PSU is RP-2005-00. A quick google search brings up a number of PSUs. I don't know if any of them will work with my machine. I did see one at Directron with a one year warranty, but it's from the same people who sold me the eBay one.

I heard back from the eBay seller about the PSU I purchased earlier. Apparently it's normal for the PSU fan to run at full speed most of the time. :?

I took the PSU apart a little bit. It looks like the fan is soldered to the board and it the solder points are cover in goop. I'd say that's a little beyond my level. I'm happy to spend the money if I can find something I like. It looks like the fan is about 1 5/8 inches wide by my measurements. There's also the issue of the fact the PSU has a slight whine to it, which I don't think is related to the fan. Thanks again.

sangusk

Post by sangusk » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:52 pm

Hey man, I have a brand new PSU for your Shuttle. I bought it from SPCR clearance, but it ended up not compatible with my Shuttle. You interested? Send me your email I can send you a few photos of it

FredGarvin

Post by FredGarvin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:31 am

Is it quiet?

sangusk

Post by sangusk » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:00 pm

Sorry for the late reply. It should be quiet according to reviews, but since it doesn't fit my shuttle I can't confirm this

pyotr

Post by pyotr » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:32 am

You could open up the PSU (voids the warranty obviously) and replace the two 40mm fans with Pabst or SilenX ones.

Don't expect miracles though... It did make some difference but not enough to satisfy me and as a result I have given up on those shuttles (too bad, I really liked the formfactor and the barebones concept).