Seasonic SS-300FS Fan Change

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

davidhooper

Seasonic SS-300FS Fan Change

Post by davidhooper » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:44 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm currently using a Seasonic SS-300FS. With millions of thanks to SPCR, my computer is now much much quieter than before. This PSU is the last thing to quieten down.

My rig currently has no case fans. I've undervolted my 1600+ and am running CPUidle so CPU temps are 31C idle, rising to 55C under high load. I also whipped the fan off my GF2 which is 60C idle. PSU exhaust temps are very low at the moment, barely warm at all.

Now, I'm hoping to replace the stock fan with a Panaflo. I'm looking for opinions and experiences on whether I should use a L1A or a M1A. Has anyone tried either? I've read this post and am looking for a couple more experiences like mfeingol... How difficult is the mod? I hope it's just a case (excuse the pun) of opening it up, unscrewing and unplugging the old fan and putting in the new.

Actually, I see Dorothy has a discount on L1As. Good stuff.

Also, has anyone cut away the stamped grill? I'm only an impoverished student so only have access to pliers and tin snips. Can the job be done with these? And one last question, is it necessary to replace with a better grill or not?

Thanks for any experiences or help.

Cosine

Post by Cosine » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:32 am

I'm currently using a Seasonic SS-300FS. With millions of thanks to SPCR, my computer is now much much quieter than before. This PSU is the last thing to quieten down.
Sounds like a good choice, I'm waiting for the SS-400AGX myself but get a feeling I could be waiting a while. If anyone knows of a dealer in Vancouver let me know.

Now, I'm hoping to replace the stock fan with a Panaflo. I'm looking for opinions and experiences on whether I should use a L1A or a M1A. Has anyone tried either? I've read this post and am looking for a couple more experiences like mfeingol... How difficult is the mod? I hope it's just a case (excuse the pun) of opening it up, unscrewing and unplugging the old fan and putting in the new.
Yup, super simple mod, just open the pwr supply and unscrew the fan basically.

My only suggestion, and this seems to go against most of what I read here so maybe it's wrong, is to avoid hooking the fan to the header in the pwr supply at all and instead hook it to a regular connector outside the psu, I prefer it this way with a manual fan speed controller and a temp prob mounted in the power supply to have the option of adjusting fan speeds myself rather than having the SeaSonic thinking for me. Damn machines always trying to take over :wink:
Also, has anyone cut away the stamped grill? I'm only an impoverished student so only have access to pliers and tin snips. Can the job be done with these? And one last question, is it necessary to replace with a better grill or not?
You should be fine with pliers and tin snips, may not do the neatest job but should work, don't replace the grill at all if you don't have to, if you have a cat or a kid that you don't want getting the ole plastic manicure.
Any object in the path of the airflow is only going to increase the noise.

cos

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:44 am

I also have succefully implemented this mod.
  • I used an L1A.
  • Temps from the PSU air seem a bit warmer, but not hot, using the highly-technical put-my-hand-in-the-airflow method.
  • Trickiest part of cutting the grill was removing the PCB from the PSU without breaking it or getting zapped. I pulled the PCB so that no flying metal bits ended up in the PCB (while cutting grill or drilling--see below)
  • While I had the PCB out, I turned the intake vents 90° on the PSU with a pair of needle-nose pliers a la powergyoza's Dual MP System.
  • While I had the PCB out, I drilled two more mounting holes (the stock fan has only 2 mounting points) and put the L1A in with EAR isolators.
  • I duct taped the bottom vents to force airflow horizontally through the PSU.
  • I followed MikeC's Simple PSU Fan Swap Technique.
  • The first L1A I used did not start up when I first plugged the PSU in, but the second fan I put in starts fine. Another user on the thread you linked to had the same issue, but the fan came on for him (her?) just fine when the temp-controlled fan circuit increased the voltage on the fan.
I have a 5V L1A exhaust fan on my system, so with no other case fans on your system, you may want to consider the M1A, but I'd try the L1A first.

davidhooper

Post by davidhooper » Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:15 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I've removed the grill just earlier. I'll order my panaflo soon and replace the fan when I've finished my important university (just in case the worst happens!).

Thanks again. :D