Yet another 500W-ish PSU question, limited options

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

torp

Yet another 500W-ish PSU question, limited options

Post by torp » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:45 am

From limited options.
I'll get gold, I don't dare try fanless, would prefer modular but I'm not extremely fussed about it. I picked 500-550W because I have more options that way and definitely don't need more power (could prolly get away even with 400 W). Want quiet, and long life.
Based in Romania, so if it's in stock on Newegg it doesn't help me :)
What I have available from what's mentioned around SPCR is:
Corsair, both RM and RMx - 550 W
Seasonic G Series - 550 W
be quiet! straight power 10 - 500 W
enermax revolution Xt - 530 W (not even sure if that particular model is worth mentioning)

Sigh... that's all. I'd just go for the Seasonic but the G series has been around forever and there's the question of Haswell and Skylake compatibility, and some random mentions of their quality not being what it used to be on the forum. So I'm asking for opinions.

Thank you!

lodestar

Re: Yet another 500W-ish PSU question, limited options

Post by lodestar » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:07 am

The Corsair RMx 550W is probably the best choice from that list. It is semi-passive so the fan will not come on until at least the 225w load point, according to Corsair and it is fully modular. In the UK the Seasonic G550 costs about the same as the RMx, so no reason to pick it against the RMx. The Straight Power 10 also costs about the same but is not fully modular. The Enermax Revolution X't 530w like the Seasonic G550 runs its fan constantly, from around 600 rpm so does not cut it against the RMx.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:41 am

If it is the ATX cable that is hardwired, then that is probably better, because there are (slight) losses in the connectors, and it has to be used, no matter what. So, making it modular is pretty much pointless, and it costs more.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:04 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:...and it costs more.
Probably depends on local markets, but in the UK at least the Be Quiet costs a bit more than the Corsair RMx 550W. I also notice that the 500w Straight 10 has a grill just above the hardwired ATX cable which suggests that it will dump at least some heat into the case. Not good.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:52 am

lodestar wrote:I also notice that the 500w Straight 10 has a grill just above the hardwired ATX cable which suggests that it will dump at least some heat into the case. Not good.
At worst that's negligible: it's just you don't like Be Quiet, so you have to quibble about (though, all in all, the RMx is clearly a better - not quieter, better - unit than the E10).

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:44 am

It's not a question of liking or not liking Be Quiet. The point I was making about the output side grill is entirely legitimate, other PSUs don't have this feature so why are Be Quiet using it. I have looked up a Straight Power 10 review by Kitguru and reproduce their image of what this grill looks like. The review unit was a 600w but the 500w has exactly the same grill. I am not convinced, particularly at load, that its effect would be negligible.

torp

Post by torp » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:03 am

Thanks for the answers, apparently there's both a straight power 10 and a straight power 10 CM (from Cable Management) and I could only find the completely non modular one here.
Corsair RMx it is. Hope I don't get buyer's remorse :)

Behemot

Post by Behemot » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:34 am

lodestar wrote:The Corsair RMx 550W is probably the best choice from that list.
No.

It is for sure FAR THE BEST choice of all those.